• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my Harddrive "LED" constantly blinking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Luciferase said:
and someone said something about the IDE bus "polling" the drives.

I think the only device that uses polling is a joystick........

Anyway, I get this problem too, and I strongly believe that its a mobo or led problem, nothing to do with the hard drive or software. Mine flashes every second while my computer is on and just running idle. It has never stayed off more more than one second unless my machine is powered off. I ran one of those XP services which tells you when your HDD is accessing something and even when the led was blinking the hard drive was NOT accessing anything.

Its obviously a problem with the led header on the mobo, or the led itself.......

my advice: unplug the led or get used to it.

EDIT:

"If you want to check if data is actually being written or read from your hard drive you could go to
control panel, click on admnisterative tools, the open performance.
Once it loads, you'll see a bar with icons on it. There will be a + icon beside and X icon.
click the + icon (add)
A little window will pop up, and from the drop down menu for performance object choose physical disk.
Then highlight and add the following
Disk bytes/sec
Disk read bytes/sec
Disk write bytes/sec
Then close that window, and you'll see a little graph of the info you just asked for. I suggest you take a look at the numerical values (the little notepad icon). Next time you see your hdd light go on, check to see if any bytes were writen or read. If not, then there is a problem with the lights. If there is a significant amount read or written then it's because the HDD is actually being accessed. Hope this helps"

That was written by Omega Destroyer from these forums in reguards to my thread I posted awhile back that can be found HERE.

Last edited:
umm. why wouldn't you have spent 10 minutes leaving the computer on the bios screen, seeing if it blinked there first. If it passes that test then you know it's a windows issue. Then you can load up in safe-mode or whatever the hell xp uses and kill all the extra tasks (not just programs) and see if it still does it. Then if it still blinks then it must be either an OS option or a driver issue. Driver options should be obvious if something is turned on and what not. This is not a problem that should have ever gotten to a thread. And it sounds like S.M.A.R.T is activated and logging. But because this is on this thread and none of those things were mentioned as being tried before you posted I cant make any assumptions.

Oh well...

heh, one last thing to check is if you plugged the LED in correctly (if you reverse the connection it acts kinda funny/sporadic). either way...does this REALLY matter? its jsut a little light..who cares? Mine flashes all the time but thats because Im constantly writting to the drives so I dont know if mine does it (but I think not). Oh well, just get used to it Id say.:rolleyes:

Its a Windows thing, its been around since like Windows 95...read it somewhere long ago. Some systems it does it, some it don't.

I have my old hard drive in a system it used to be in, it never blinked before...but now it blinks every second. Nothing was changed except that it was put back into its old computer.

Re: Oh well...

pik4chu said:
heh, one last thing to check is if you plugged the LED in correctly (if you reverse the connection it acts kinda funny/sporadic). either way...does this REALLY matter? its jsut a little light..who cares? Mine flashes all the time but thats because Im constantly writting to the drives so I dont know if mine does it (but I think not). Oh well, just get used to it Id say.:rolleyes:

Actually, no. If you reverse the connection on an LED, it just doesn't work. Current with an LED (or any diode) will only flow in one direction.

that true in most cases but Ive had it stay on all the time before if I reversed the connection....It just does...but again...does it really matter?

Gingo, Thank You very much for taking the time to give me that info and link. I followed those directions and it must just be the light b/c my HD is shopwing no activity. I turned off the auto-insert for my CDRom but that didn't fix it. Must just be Microsoft spying on me or something:(

"Safemode" Do you enjoy being a "D*ck??"

Back