• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Newegg.com starting to suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mwave is another possible substitute for Newegg.

I haven't had any problem with them before but the lack of CS scares me.

I've only had 10 orders from Newegg...but every one of them went great.

213, first one was 7/28/2001. I paid $187 for a Tbird 1.4. $148 for a 60gb HDD

Are you going to use amazon from now on? If not then who?

If I need it right this second, yes? I have prime (the problem with components at the egg, is there is usually a "will ship in 2-3 days"

Other choices
superbiiz
directron
ncix (They are in the US now, but have not ordered from them) competitive prices.

*As of this date, Amazon has never let me down. CS has always been spot on. I have never had to file an RMA with superbiiz or directron.

Wish I had seen this thread before ordering from them. Be aware that there are other issues that you may have with them now. I placed an order for this item so that I would be compliant with new hands free rules regarding operating a commercial vehicle. I notice that it has the Iron Egg logo right at the top of the page, it has already been posted on this thread but here is the guarantee so you can see. I think that because it says it has a 60 day return policy I can try it out and see if it is better than a headset. Turns out that it isn't and is actually a bigger hassle than it is worth. I won't bother saying why as it has no relation to the thread but if you check their feedback I did post a review. So I go to the website to request a refund and click the appropriate box and guess what? This item is not eligable for refund. Say what, really? That's not what it said when I purchased the item.

Anyway, I go back over the invoice and look at the shipping detail and I see that the package originated in Atlanta. I was not aware thgat newegg had a location in Atlanta, oh they don't. It seems that they are shipping directly from other vendors(I assume), which by the way, don't own a map because it is shipped to Memphis and then to Nashville before USPS actually gets the package to deliver. So, perhaps this is why my item is not refundable but they should remove the IronEgg garuantee if they have no intention of honoring it.

It seems that not only have they gone to the dark side but are taking orders directly from Darth. I am done with them but I feel bad that we as a community have had a direct impact on NewEgg becoming such a big buisness. Outsourcing CS is also a big problem as this is just another way to put off customers and make it a bigger hassle to deal with them than just forget about the money. What is really sad is that it seems that all buisnesses in America eventually do the same things and ignore what made them a so much money. More than a decade of buisness is now over.

I personally have spent about $25,000 with newegg over the last 8 years, and have never had an issue. They've always shipped promptly, well packaged, and all products arrived in perfect condition. I've never even had to RMA a single product with them. I have done business with Mwave in the past. They also treated me well.

I'll continue to shop newegg first.

-RYknow

ive always used NCIX, primarily cause it is based in british columbia where i live so shipping is super quick. if i get the order in befor about 3 pm PST i have almoast always recived it by 3pm the next buisness day. and they do have a site for sales in the us if im not mistaken. only had to RMA something once and it went well.

one thing i will sayf or ncix. they have a tendancy to overpackage stuff. as a result i have never recived something with even the slightest bit of shipping damage. i mean a cosmos s is already big but they put it in a box inside anouther biggerbox with foam penuts. the outside dientions of the pakage when it arived was like 2'x4'x4'. i mean cmon exxesive much

Microcenter does pricematch NewEgg's prices.. which is why I mainly go to microcenter now for all my needs.

Microcenter does pricematch NewEgg's prices.. which is why I mainly go to microcenter now for all my needs.

Much too broad. They don't price match everything. There are cases where they have done that, and others where they won't do that. It is hit or miss if they price match, and varies by store and possibly by employee/manager.

I've always ordered from newegg for my components/cases...not one problem, not one rma, not one doa ect. for my watercooling needs I go to frozen cpu I absolutely love them and their CS. They even sent me 11 energy drinks and a typloshion doll for christmas when I bought a whole new loop setup lol

The Micro Center by me is great and I go there a lot but as far as price matching, not everything is matched and what usually is matched is their lower end mobos/cpu combo that I would never be interested in anyway. Not so much the cpu's being low end, more so the mobo's. If you are water cooling, forget about Newegg completely. I used them for my mobo,hdd,psu,and case. That's it.Oh sorry and my cpu.

Edit: forgot to add I had to RMA my mobo as it came "non-functional".Sucked since it was my first build and had to wait another 3 weeks to build it staring at all the other parts....

There is still an active newegg representative on the hardocp forums. I sent him a PM with a link to this thread. Hopefully he chimes in here.

I've bought many things from newegg and got what I ordered pretty quickly. I guess I've been lucky that none of my orders were bungled. I have never had to deal with their customer service which seems to be one of the biggest failings in this thread.

I work in sales and know how important customer service is for repeat business. It's not necessarily that you might mess up that matters - it's how you deal with it and make everything correct that does.

Several hours after PMing the newegg rep he sent me a message thanking me for the heads up. I'm surprised he hasn't popped in here.

With luck, the rep probably ended up at a different overclock forum. There are a number of forums that has overclock in the address.

With luck, the rep probably ended up at a different overclock forum. There are a number of forums that has overclock in the address.

I gave him the direct link to page 1 of this thread. I've no idea why they aren't responding here. Ostrich syndrome?

Last edited:
Here's a rant I found on another site about Newegg: http://www.misfile.com/

I purchased 1 x ($49.95) Intuit TurboTax Deluxe Federal + State + eFile 2011 with a free Turn 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Green) Model TG016GE902G. The final cost for the promotion was $39.96 with the free ($14.99) flash drive. I ordered on 2/1/12 on 2/2/12 I get an e-mail stating my free now $14.99 charge to my card flash drive has been shipped. Minutes later I get a we are sorry but we have to cancel your order for 1 x ($49.95) Intuit TurboTax Deluxe Federal + State + eFile 2011. You will be refunded $24.97. So because of their issue, I have to pay full price for an item that was added to my order automatically that stated "free". How is "Free" $14.99. I asked them to intercept and was told, they can't as its in the warehouse with a tag. But they can't tell the warehouse and the 1st customer agent told me I have to be home to send it back, and there would be a restocking fee and then hung up on me. The 2nd told me the same but humored me with the option of trying to intercept the package, but she could not until UPS has the package, and that UPS is not really who they use, even though the e-mail states this. This is horrible and I will never go back to New Egg again as something free added to an order should not be charged when the ordered item(s) is cancelled.

tl;dr version: someone ordered software, software comes with free memory card promo. Newegg cancelled software due to being out of stock but sent the memory card. Since the software isn't included in the order anymore, memory stick became un-free and they went ahead and shipped it anyway, charging the customer for the memory card rather than checking with the customer.

I feel for the frustration of the OP, however we're into the 1st quarter of the new year and I've recently made purchases from the egg with little trouble thankfully. As many others, I've used them for years with dependable service but then I haven't had to deal with their support/returns depts either. Recently I find myself price checking (money is tight) and I've noticed it's becoming very competitive. Either other sources are tired of losing sales and trying to compete or maybe the egg sees they don't have to be the winner by a mile anymore on price. No matter how much price checking I do, after weighing out the 'sale' price and shipping charges game, newegg still seems to come out as cheap or slightly under. Taking into account my own personal experiences being relatively smooth with them, I prefer to take my chances with newegg than a company I've never heard of or dealt with before.

synphul;7103327... said:
I haven't had to deal with their support/returns depts either.

The measure of a company is not whether or not issues arise (as they inevitably will), but how they deal with them.

I prefer to take my chances with newegg than a company I've never heard of or dealt with before.

A better strategy is simply not to take chances. "The devil you know" is a poor approach when there are superior options available. A little research here, at the BBB and at reseller ratings can go a long way.

I gave him the direct link to page 1 of this thread. I've no idea why they aren't responding here. Ostrich syndrome?

Personally I don't see a need for their presence in this thread. Its a gripefest and they can't do much to respond to over 100 replies. What are they going to say other than that they do their best to resolve customer issues, and contact support if you have any problems.

Other threads noting specific issues which are ongoing currently and need help being resolved would be a better use of their time - there isn't anything actionable they can do with a thread like this.

Back