• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Newegg.com starting to suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personally I don't see a need for their presence in this thread. Its a gripefest and they can't do much to respond to over 100 replies. What are they going to say other than that they do their best to resolve customer issues, and contact support if you have any problems.

Other threads noting specific issues which are ongoing currently and need help being resolved would be a better use of their time - there isn't anything actionable they can do with a thread like this.

Perhaps not in this thread.. but have they responded to any others recently? Or contacted you about anything? It would be nice to hear they have.

This forum has a very large group of people who spend LOTS of money on computer gear. You'd think they would try some type of damage control or at least start rebuilding their reputation.

I am lucky in that I've never had to use their customer service side but the things I've been reading certainly will influence my purchasing decisions in the future. Any place can SELL you stuff, but I want a place that will take care of issues satisfactorily when they inevitably come up.

Never done business with Amazon, i typically stay away from ebay-esc stuff, to many dishonest people, sadly this whole deal has made me lose interest in buying anything PC related, it's got me real upset, being without my money for all this time, i feel really betrayed.

I have had less problems on eBay than with Etailers.

I still use newegg, being East coast guy ups ground is next day delivery for me. The catch is I have to pay sales tax (7%). I consider that the "next day delivery charge though now :)

But I do not limit myself to Newegg or only buy items that are "shell shockers" as if there is no rush, I cant get the parts somewhere else. Somewhere smaller that does not periodically ship stuff from their RMA warehouse to me, or send me "New in plastic wrap" stuff that looks like it had been dropped.

Perhaps not in this thread.. but have they responded to any others recently? Or contacted you about anything? It would be nice to hear they have.

This forum has a very large group of people who spend LOTS of money on computer gear. You'd think they would try some type of damage control or at least start rebuilding their reputation.

I am lucky in that I've never had to use their customer service side but the things I've been reading certainly will influence my purchasing decisions in the future. Any place can SELL you stuff, but I want a place that will take care of issues satisfactorily when they inevitably come up.

I recently explained their forum support status here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7100079&postcount=80

TBH I have not had any issue with their customer service. They send something broken or damaged I have received either replacement with return shipping covered, credit for a fully functional but scratched/cracked item, or a even just a replacement part. (Purchased a Rosewill case from them, Power button died on it. I called up and said, Shipping would be ridiculous, can you just send a power button? they sent me a whole new front of the case! )

There customer service has been 95% positive with me. It is just needing to use it more often the last 2 years. Compared to the first 3 or so I was using them

Personally I've had only 1 issue with them this year (zero problem last year): they sent a new power supply that was damaged and quite possibly a customer returned/RMA'd unit that got mixed in with new power supply. I got the RMA and sent it back next day though.

Still don't know why they won't come here and try to resolve the issues people still have.

I use directron.com a lot. They're a little slower on shipping, and don't give you much of a break as compared to the Egg's shipping deals, but I always get my stuff packaged well and on time. Never any DOA merchandise either, and I've never bought their testing services.
No user reviews, but honestly most on the Egg are from those who know not what they're doing anyway, so it's not exactly 100% trustworthy...Google your reviews.

Texas is where they're at, so you'll probably get your stuff faster than I do in Michigan.

BTW, never really had a problem with the Egg, but it is a bit inconvenient having parts shipped from two different locations and arriving days apart. It puts a damper on playing with your new toys until all the parts arrive. Waiting two days between a drive cable and hard drive arriving is like waiting for Christmas twice!

I like Directron too, if i'm in a hurry i'll use them or Fry's and even Microcenter sometimes here in Houston.Another thing I like about Directron is the same salespeople who seem pretty knowledgable. Heck I just bought my new videocard there a few days ago and got the same salesman from the first time I went there when I was doing my socket 939 build years ago.

I didn't order from newegg this time. I ordered from Amazon.

The reason why is that newegg's chat person couldn't tell me if the free combo savings dvd burner was SATA or not. :shrug:

The stuff was actually a little cheaper on Amazon and I knew I was getting a SATA.

Personally I've had only 1 issue with them this year (zero problem last year): they sent a new power supply that was damaged and quite possibly a customer returned/RMA'd unit that got mixed in with new power supply. I got the RMA and sent it back next day though.

Still don't know why they won't come here and try to resolve the issues people still have.

It seems more and more people are getting the "mixed in" RMA units these days. At first, I could have believed it was a mistake as things happen but it seems to be more and more common that people are buying "new" and obviously not getting anything near new.

Its sad the route Newegg has gone. Used to be the only place Id buy parts from. Hell, Id rather pay tax and purchase from Fry's locally now then shop at newegg. I do find myself buying more and more from Amazon as well these days. If Newegg couldve just stuck to their guns and not tried to go into a competition over selling everything under the sun things still might be good with them.

Hell, I ordered a 7970 with them that was supposedly instock and it didnt ship for 2 days. At that point, I cancelled the order and bought it from Amazon.

I posted about an issue I had before on this thread about Newegg not honoring their return for refund offered on a product. After a few weeks of emails, I told them that I would keep the item but remove me from the mailing list and cancel my account. For the first time I received an email within 24 hours stating that if I would pay to send it back they would credit my account in the form of a gift card. Not to be unreasonable as I suggest this in my first email, I found this an acceptable compromise and was willing to forget the incident.

I needed to order a complete build for my son so I ordered through them yet again. One of the many items was this IDE DVD burner by Plextor. What I found in the box was a bare drive, bubble wrapped and taped together with scotch tape. This was obviously a returned item and not the boxed drive that should have included mounting screws, Nero 9 Essentials and other software from Plextor. At 31.99 plus 4.99 shipping I was not expecting an open box or a returned item. While I have had a couple of issues with them before, sending out returned items in place of new is unacceptable. I will email them today and report back the outcome. I will expect them to send me the box and software minus the drive but their history of doing the right thing has been questionable in the past.

I needed to order a complete build for my son so I ordered through them yet again. One of the many items was this IDE DVD burner by Plextor. What I found in the box was a bare drive, bubble wrapped and taped together with scotch tape. This was obviously a returned item and not the boxed drive that should have included mounting screws, Nero 9 Essentials and other software from Plextor.

At the risk of increasing your frustration (believe me, I understand), in this particular case it's not out of the ordinary. It's not a returned item, I followed the link and it states "OEM". That's the difference and why there's a cheaper price for OEM vs retail products. OEM products are just the bare essentials (as original equipment manufacturers or 'factory' have no need for all the extras for every unit and are mass installed.) This is the type of item a repair shop would order to stock on their parts shelf. To get the box, all the parts and pieces, screws, cables, software you'd expect to find purchasing from a brick and mortar store, you'd want to opt for a 'retail' version of that drive. Hope this at least gives you a little faith that you didn't just get someone else's returned unit. I've purchased several OEM drives and that's standard packaging. A plain cardboard box with a bare drive wrapped in bubble wrap for padding, no extras. Sorry for your frustration. Usually any software can be downloaded via the manufacturer's website such as drivers if needed.

If you look at the details on the drive he linked, it specifically states what it comes with which includes:
PX-L871A Internal DVD Super Multi drive

Nero 9 Essentials

Mounting screws

Quick installation quide and warranty statement

I can see where it might be misleading, however the product does state 'OEM' and under Newegg's FAQ for "What are the differences between the OEM and retail versions of a product?" is the following statement. "Retail versions may come with additional accessories, retail packaging, bundled software and warranty coverage. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), White Box and Brown Box versions include the product and sometimes the drivers, but not much else. They are packaged generically and do not include software. OEM products are best-suited for system builders who don't require documentation or bundled accessories."

I think they may have duplicated the specs from the retail version, but the description does state OEM denoting that it's not in fact a retail product.

So again, here Newegg is misleading the customer. I always read the details of the products I buy and look them over to be sure its what I want. If I read in the details that it comes with the listed items, I expect to get them.

If they are advertising it falsely they are in the wrong. I understand it states OEM, but sometimes OEM does come with accessories (Ive gotten OEM with accessories before) and if they advertise it comes with them, they should provide them. If they just copied the specs, thats their bad not the consumers.

If you look at the details on the drive he linked, it specifically states what it comes with which includes:
PX-L871A Internal DVD Super Multi drive

Nero 9 Essentials

Mounting screws

Quick installation quide and warranty statement
The fact that they put that information there as far as what comes with it is outright fraud. We cannot expect to get whatever the it says come in the package. Other drives state that they are bare drives while newegg decided to publish the contents of the OEM package on this item. Other OEM products state specifically what you get, OEM processors state "Cooling device not included - Processor Only". So this is cheating by default, like a politician stating, "I know I said that but you should have known that's not what I meant. This is the second time in a row that I could not believe what the website said.

I can see where it might be misleading, however the product does state 'OEM' and under Newegg's FAQ for "What are the differences between the OEM and retail versions of a product?" is the following statement. "Retail versions may come with additional accessories, retail packaging, bundled software and warranty coverage. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), White Box and Brown Box versions include the product and sometimes the drivers, but not much else. They are packaged generically and do not include software. OEM products are best-suited for system builders who don't require documentation or bundled accessories."

I think they may have duplicated the specs from the retail version, but the description does state OEM denoting that it's not in fact a retail product.

May have, might have, really?
Above you stated "That's the difference and why there's a cheaper price for OEM vs retail products." Again really, 32 bucks and shipping? DVD drives start at 15.00 with free shipping. Considering that this is a more polite version of the email I received back from them, give them a message for me.

So again, here Newegg is misleading the customer. I always read the details of the products I buy and look them over to be sure its what I want. If I read in the details that it comes with the listed items, I expect to get them.

If they are advertising it falsely they are in the wrong. I understand it states OEM, but sometimes OEM does come with accessories (Ive gotten OEM with accessories before) and if they advertise it comes with them, they should provide them. If they just copied the specs, thats their bad not the consumers.

Thank's doz. Why list the packaging you are not going to get?

Well, I said I would report back so.. After a few emails that I am not sure that I can post per the confidentiality notice but here is the jist of them. They would check and see if they had the accessories.. They didn't have any "extra" accessories but I could RMA the drive as long as I still had the retail box and all of the accessories, except for the ones' I didn't get. Now tha's funny right there, I don't care who you are. Huh oh, guess I should have saved that bubble wrap.

I just wanted to file a complaint here, to let others know. Keep in mind that I still like Newegg, and I completely understand that mistakes can happen even in, or perhaps especially, a large company.

So this started on the first of this month. I placed an order for a refurbished laptop. $322 for a laptop is a damn good deal. Anyways, after placing the order, the funds were immediately taken out of my bank account as I used the Interac Online option (this is newegg.ca btw). It's like a debit transaction, online. No credit involved, straight from the source. So, as the funds were withdrawn and I'd made purchases like this from newegg before (built my PC from components bought there) I figured everything would sort itself out and I was good.

After about 10 hours, I didn't see any processing confirmation in my email, so I figured I'd check the order status in my account. I log in, and see the order was voided. No explanation to be found, anywhere. I didn't even get an email telling me the order could not be completed. So naturally, I was a bit anxious and very confused.

I contacted CS via live chat right after I saw this, and the rep told me she did not know why it was voided, and that she'd have to contact a different department to get the answer. She said she email me with more information after 24 hours. I waited over a day after that, and still nothing, so I sent them a direct email. Took a day to respond, but they did; with basically the same thing the CS said. They'd have to contact another related department for the information. I waited 2 days, that brings us to today. I sent them another message, essentially saying that I did not want to seem impatient but I was very concerned as $322 is a lot of money to have stuck in limbo. More to the point, I really want to order the laptop before it goes out of stock.

This time the email reply was very swift, but they told me that they didn't get a reply yet from the related (fraud) department.

I'm just.. confused. It does not seem like CS doesn't care, it just seems like they literally do not have any clue why the order was voided or anything. I also don't understand how this could be related to fraud as the money was instantly deducted from my account, just like the other 4 orders (which totaled over 1,500$) that I've placed in the past.

I hope this will be resolved soon and I'll update this post later on with more details.

Back