• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is PC gaming so awkward?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Never been a hardcore gamer, but like to dabble every couple years it seems.

Had a hankering for Gran Turismo, so picked up a ps3 last month and been having a quick toot on various games since. The graphics feel retro.

Picked up Grid 2 for example, looks awful on the ps3. Finally got a decent card and had a go on the PC, looks a different game, but it's akward to use, mouse and keyboard for the menus, ps3 controller for the game etc.

Then Far cry another example, won't run on full screen on the TV, only the monitor, even if the TV is set to default. Trying to do anything else while you wait for games to load usually ends up upsetting the computer. It's all niggles, but it feels like we're 10 years down the line and the PC still has the same issues it's always had.

Doesn't it look nice though?

I think it's that you've picked game that were originally made for the console and ported to the PC... or ones that are 10 years old and thus have 10 year old glitches... Try some bad company 2 and for racing (most simulation games are now ported to PC except flight sims, don't read aracade fighter games) just read a review of the PC version. Most alt-tab issues have been done with for a few years bro... you still running xp or something?

Addendum: The PC will always be more glitchy than a console because of the variety of components and software a PC Game has to deal with... That variety is also what allows for the highest of highs in the graphics and detail which unfortunately sometimes come with the lowest of lows in stability. Consoles are all exactly the same so while the PS3 is 4 years older than my graphics card, it may be more streamlined with Far Cry... but my Far Cry 2 and 3 look different and better, and ya know what, FC3 is rock solid. Hell, even BF3 has the Q button glitch, but ya know what, ya just hit Escape twice and you're good.

If switching between a mouse and keyboard for menus and a PS3 controller for driving is really that awkward; definitely don't try the flight simulators :D

Last edited:
It feels like the majority of the console ports have the same problem as they always have. I've tried a few recently all with various niggles. The 2 above were just an example. Seems a shame, the PC could easily be the ultimate gaming machine. It's been doing everything the PS4 and xbox one seem to be now offering for a while. Whilst I appreciate the PC has alot more to contend with it does sometines feel like no one can be arsed to put that bit of extra effort to make the games work as well as they do on a console. The only ones recently that don't seem to have the annoying niggles is a couple of NFS games. I'll keep having a go.

I really don't even know what you are talking about , if you dont like switching between the mouse and the controller then just use the mouse/kb =)

All the games I play feel smooth and polished .
CS:go , BC2 , Payday 2 , Hit man absolution

The same could be said for console to me so I see where you are coming from. I haven't played on a console since the early PS2 days so when I tried Skyrim recently I just couldn't figure out out how to do anything. My brain kept telling me to use the mouse or press a key to do something even though I had the game pad in hand. I'm sure with a little time both of us could adjust to a console/pc so I would say it is what you are used to that makes it awkward. Also as stated above you are aren't playing pc games, you are playing console ports which makes a HUGE difference in game play quality imo.

Don't get me wrong, I can't play any first person shooter games on a console at all, it's not cricket. Then ttrying to play a racing game on a mouse/keyboard is worse, it needs a pad, and it irritates me that the pad has to be put down after pausing etc.

Surround sound support seems lacking so far, and why can't I browse the net on the other screen whilst loading/watching videos? Or use system monitoring programs without half of the other screen disappearing. Or alt tab without the game kicking up a fuss, etc.

I'll try a few more games, see how they are.

Many games nowadays have built in support for 360 controllers because of xinput in directx. If you don't have a wired 360 controller you can try using motion joy or ds3 to control using your ps3 controller, but the 360 is pretty much the standard controller for PC games.

Have you tried steam big picture mode?

Many games nowadays have built in support for 360 controllers because of xinput in directx. If you don't have a wired 360 controller you can try using motion joy or ds3 to control using your ps3 controller, but the 360 is pretty much the standard controller for PC games.

Have you tried steam big picture mode?

What is the "big picture mode" ?

WrkBoot, its more of a console/HTPC interface instead of the normal Steam interface.

Click the button in the upper right and you can see it.

Don't get me wrong, I can't play any first person shooter games on a console at all, it's not cricket. Then ttrying to play a racing game on a mouse/keyboard is worse, it needs a pad, and it irritates me that the pad has to be put down after pausing etc.

Surround sound support seems lacking so far, and why can't I browse the net on the other screen whilst loading/watching videos? Or use system monitoring programs without half of the other screen disappearing. Or alt tab without the game kicking up a fuss, etc.

I'll try a few more games, see how they are.

I don't know why you can't, I do it all the time: netflix on my 42" BF3 on my primary... size doesn't change or anything as they run at the same resolution (possibly your answer there). Recently been trying a bunch of other games like team fortress 2, world of tanks and warplans, warthunder, even hawken: all work great for switching so....

It's weird cause I can't use a mouse and keyboard for nothing when it comes to my pc games, that's my issue I've been a console gamer all my life but with the occasional pc gaming moment in between. Now I have been on pc mostly for the last 3 months and only 1 game on PS3 that's Kingdom's Of Amular, but most of my pc games can use a controller which I have a 360 pad. I have tried to use a KnM but I can't use it I find it awkward and sometimes painful in my left hand.

And because I can't use them it puts me off so many games that look bloody great

Ive been using my wireless 360 controller (with the wireless adapter from MS for $11 lol) and i havent had any problems with it thus far. I was just playing BO: Paradise city earlier and its flawless. FC3 and BF3 are flawless as well. Even outlast works great. Try usuing the 360 pad

Ive been using my wireless 360 controller (with the wireless adapter from MS for $11 lol) and i havent had any problems with it thus far. I was just playing BO: Paradise city earlier and its flawless. FC3 and BF3 are flawless as well. Even outlast works great. Try usuing the 360 pad

I've been playing

Burnout Paradise
Dead Space 3
Just Cause 2
BioShock
Crysis 2
Dead Island

With the wired 360 controller and they work flawless too

OP, you got a gamepad or wheel? Most new games allow you to go through menus just with the controller so you don't even have to touch the keyboard/mouse, especially in Grid 2. I use a 360 controller with a Windows receiver and also a Logitech F710 (PS3 style), they both work good.

One thing though is in NASCAR 2013 game, the mouse pointer just sits there in the middle of the screen regardless of it not being useful in any part of the game. :mad:

playing driving games with a mouse / keyboard sucks lol. like everyone has probably said already im too lazy / tired to read their responses.

The reason half your screen disappears is likely because you are not running your game at your monitor's native resolution and the way that interacts with directx. playing on your tv as opposed to your monitor ussually requires you make your TV the PRIMARY display in windows (i think steam big picture mode can do this for you automatically when you start a game using it but it might not switch it back when done).

I have the same problem.

I've been a console gamer since I first got a Playstation in 2000 I think it was?

I'm used to Playstation controllers.

I played Descent on the PC before that, but it was with a joystick.

I normally play shooters (FPS/TPS), racing games, and some flight sims on PS2/PS3.

The last game I tried on PC was honestly frustrating. It was Star Trek: Online. The keyboard/mouse combo was okay for ground based combat and just walking around to pick up items and talk to characters. But keyboard and mouse for flight-based combat in the game was really frustrating, because there are like four or five different keys to control pitch, roll, speed, and whether you are going backwards or forwards. No matter what I did it seemed like I was always turning very slowly to try and get my ship to turn and face my target(s). The other problem was that I couldn't remember which key did what, I would want to bring the nose up, but would end up somehow doing a roll to the left instead (and things of that nature). Now I got the distinct feeling that if I had a controller in my hands (PS3 or XBOX) I could have performed the needed aerobatics with ease and would have had little or no problem with targeting my enemies. A joystick would be much preferred to keys on a keyboard.

I can easily imagine how difficult a racing game would be on PC with a keyboard and mouse. Before moving to console games I played racing games on PC with a steering wheel, and a wheel still seems it would be more fluid for racing. The change to a controller for that was also awkward at the time.

Back