• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why most of us will probably switch to Windows 8.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am shooting for this in Windows 8, icons are big so mouse can land on SELECT ALL > COPY > PASTE in small fractions of a second.

CTRL+A > CTRL+C > CTRL+V is most definitely not faster than Laser bam bam bam:

Attachments

• Toolbar.jpg
    Toolbar.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 101
I'm used to having this conversation. I had a guy once talk about how it used to be in the "Roman Times" and how we're so "spoiled" we want "everything" faster and now. Like that's unreasonable since the very existence of computing is to make things faster. Software developers should do whatever they want to do. Metro. Ribbons. Anything they want. As long as they give us the option to customize.

To answer your question, my mind knows the screen coordinates of every icon so bam bam bam: Three operations are done in a fraction of a second.
People think it's not a big deal but to me it's like having a conversation with someone from the mid 1990s about dial-up and how dial-up is not that bad. Anything that can make things faster even a fraction of a second should be an option.

EDIT: Oh okay I got it now. If you are copy/pasting you are using your mouse anyway.. yes icons for that would be an improvement. I found that KB shortcuts are usually faster for me but for alot of stuff icons would make it easier.

Last edited:
I successfully installed Win8 on an old Dell that only had BIOS and driver support for XP. Only one driver didn't install during the initial installation process and I just found the latest XP driver and compatibility switched it to XP and it installed fine and works. The Dell doesn't seen too slow running Win8, but that Metro UI is driving the owners nuts.

none of those are reasons for me to switch!

win7 with an SSD is plenty fasts at booting to me! not to mention the fact that my box stays on just about 24/7 anyway

ram? i have 16gigs which win7 manages just fine... i have no issues with RAM as i have way more than i need!

slightly better benchmark performance? no thanks... all of my games run great and a slight improvement is NOT worth the upgrade... in fact i don't see myself changing for years.

The only copy of Win 7 that I have bought I don't have any use for, no longer even installed on any machine. Sooo, Win 8 will not be in my future.

The tablet trend has(IMO) brought devs to a very strange place, not just M$ but the open source developers as well. I don't like it, but hope that pressure from business customers will someday bring back some sibilance of sanity.

none of those are reasons for me to switch!

win7 with an SSD is plenty fasts at booting to me! not to mention the fact that my box stays on just about 24/7 anyway

ram? i have 16gigs which win7 manages just fine... i have no issues with RAM as i have way more than i need!

slightly better benchmark performance? no thanks... all of my games run great and a slight improvement is NOT worth the upgrade... in fact i don't see myself changing for years.

No one is twisting your arm to upgrade.

SOOOOO many people prefer the previous or 2nd/3rd iteration before it it is not even funny. When XP came out 98SE was the "gamers choice" despite better games coming out on XP. Better is a comaprison issue. More advanced lets say that.

Vista came out (far superior) and XP was the ****, no one wanted Vista... drones and luddites. 7 is Vista. With a new GUI and broken networking.

I'm not saying that COD MW2 is better than DOOM. Well yeah im saying it is better. I am 40 years old and my first computer was in 1979. Stuff has gotten better all the time. I do miss text adventures a bit, but find RPGS a better example of them, graphically at least lol. Doom? No... it was ground breaking at the time for its GFX, GFX have evolved. Content has not so much. So your modern game is a Doom with awesome GFX, but added storyline and physics and all that stuff.

There is no modern version of a text adventure. Name one big name game where you can type whatever you want. I mean to the game not chat. Doable in th 80s not now?

Of course a modern game has no problem differentiating between a windy corridor and a windy one. (adventure reference for those that remember)

Last edited:
I have XP on one PC and windows 7 64bit on 2 and i don't notice any difference, i think it's all Hype. I won't be going to windows 8 anytime soon probably wait for 9.

I have XP on one PC and windows 7 64bit on 2 and i don't notice any difference, i think it's all Hype. I won't be going to windows 8 anytime soon probably wait for 9.

Can't tell the difference? Is that truth or your setups ?

Last edited:
I'm not afraid of nor disdain change, but only as long as there is benefit for me as an end user, not just someone's bottom line business model.

I don't see any bennies for me in Metro, but I do see some benefits in a 64bit OS that will run 16bit apps. That means I won't have to dual boot to an older OS to run my collection of oldies but goodies apps.

When XP came out 98SE was the "gamers choice" despite better games coming out on XP.

Vista came out (far superior) and XP was the ****, no one wanted Vista... drones and luddites. 7 is Vista. With a new GUI and broken networking.

That's because of the hardware at the time. Some games were slower on Windows XP because what people had at the time. I remember Windows Me being faster on old hardware, I had to reimage it all the time because it was breaking down and was "worse" than WinXP but it was faster on old hardware. I wasn't a gamer but I do distinctly remember Gamers choosing Windows 98SE/Me over Windows XP because of that reason.

See also:
My opinion, I could very well be wrong, is simply that the general populace did not have proper hardware to run Vista at the time that it released, and did by the time that 7 hit the shelves. Pretty much any system with at least 2 cores and 2 gigs of RAM should feel smooth in Vista. However, that wasn't quite the norm at the time of its release, even in a community like ours.

@wingman, wow. Dunno I put XP on a A8 build I did for a friend, it didnt seem as peppy as win7 did. Maybe because of the large change in architecture though.

@c6

Yeah I remember the gamers saying 98SE was better. "No Fisher Price GUI for me!" they proclaimed. lol. I had a windows Me machine in 2000/2001 I do not recall having any issues with it in particular. But I was not a power user yet. Had just gotten back into PCs after a 5+ year hiatus. And was on 26K dialup *blech. I do know that Shortly after getting that PC I went to upgrade and ended up building my own in stead. (HP proprietary format era PC)

It's a nice little video. I'm not sure he's right on the memory as from the video it looked like he was including disk cache. If he was, then you can throw those numbers right out as meaningful. But I agree with his conclusions. I'd even go a little further. I haven't done any benching on Win8 but I also dual boot and it's seriously snappy and responsive. And it's been very stable so far. Considering how wobbly XP was when it was actually released, the fact that the release preview has been so complete is astonishing.

I'm also one of the fortunate ones that have no problem with Metro, so for me it's almost all win so far. My only real negative is the stupid three stage process I have to go through to shut it down. (Sign out and shut down are separate).

I've actually counted clicks needed to do my common tasks and Metro is the same or fewer in most cases, more in a handful of them (such as turning on a VPN). I'm pretty happy. Particularly with Office 2013 which I've just started using.

Heathen! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(I did some of my finest programming on a HPUX11 box ; )

Really, you like working on a system that has a full gui, but, if you forget to connect the LAN cable it drops xserver? What?
In a ll honesty not sure it was 11 hada few machines 10.1 through 11.

He had to stick to a certain 700 series chipset 76x I forget. 64bit RISC, because that what his survey works on. Now because his equipment is so advanced he has to attach it to a windows PC and interpolate the data, then manually enter it into the UNIX box. wtf?(granted the windows port of his current software would be like $3 grand but must save him countless hours of trying to find people that know unix before me? His last guy was in Arizona) Im not saying unix guys are few and farbetween im saying in a country 3000 miles you need to go 2000 miles to find a certified one.

Whatevah.

Im saying when I get voice mails of "the plotter isn't working" I don't answer. cuz it's a 6 hour ordeal for me to figure it out (plus 20 minutes each way). and ill only charge $20 because all im doing is "fixing a printer."

Hes a good guy. If I was there six hours and said $20 bucks hed push $50 on me and tell me I was an A-hole.

and I dont avoid his calls either I just wish I did. So many PC guys are aholes.

Want a great story. A pastor spent $250 on 2 seperate visits from different people . Setting a up a laser printer all in one jobby. Both people said. You cant print from every where because your desktop is Windows7 and you cant share t hat with XP and apple. (bull--- pookie)yes you can but thats not the point.

I said whats the model number? (Thinking I would look it up maybe check drivers and have them on USB when I showed up). HP CP-9000N

ends in N????

So I brought a 6' Ethernet cable within 15 seconds after I got there every PC could print to it.

PC market is full of A-holes. This stuff is not difficult. Its all post office. Everything has an address. Sometimes theres a security code to get in the door. And sometimes the inhabitants speak a different language. If I had the where with all to knock out 2 PCs aday at $20 an hour (minimum) id be fine with that kind of minimum wage job that I only had to work 3-4 hours aday. Cuz lets face it. Seriously what is working on a PC. Sitting staring at a screen for a few minutes trying something, going out for a smoke while that happens, maybe getting some free pizza...

I gave up on virus removal its stupid cause the people just get reinfected. Even with simple instructions. The red O not the big blue E.

So I back up their stuff. Format, reinstall windows, add their drivers and put their precious memories on their drive. It is so much faster than virus removal. Specially since I USB everything.

soemtimes that backfires got a crazy call from pastors wife about quicken. No I didnt reinstall it, but when you do your DBs are there ;) Dont get all crazy on me... im not some punk. that you gave $20 to. I know my stuff its why I cant get hired anywhere. Oh btw I asked i I could format windows and reinstall it and they both said yes. People are stupid. I am just willing to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Really, you like working on a system that has a full gui, but, if you forget to connect the LAN cable it drops xserver? What?

Heh. HPUX11 was my first UNIX. You never forget it. Wasn't seriously criticising you! And if I hadn't made the comments, I wouldn't have got the interesting stories! ;)

You sound like you might be undercharging for your skills, btw. People with high skills or smarts typically undervalue them, psychologically proven. Whilst those with lesser ability tend to have high opinions of themselves. I used to think my computer skills were middling until I moved to a position where I had to try and hire competent people and found how hard they are to find.

Heh. HPUX11 was my first UNIX. You never forget it. Wasn't seriously criticising you! And if I hadn't made the comments, I wouldn't have got the interesting stories! ;)

You sound like you might be undercharging for your skills, btw. People with high skills or smarts typically undervalue them, psychologically proven. Whilst those with lesser ability tend to have high opinions of themselves. I used to think my computer skills were middling until I moved to a position where I had to try and hire competent people and found how hard they are to find.

I dont know I find doing something like flipping burgers or just sitting and waiting for things to happen MUCH harder. Oh my god waiting .. ohh I hate that.

Last job I had they wanted me to sit and wait at the end of the day for 3 hours in case the phone rang. WTF. Paid but really? Id rather leave and not sit and not get paid. I cant sit there and do nothing. It is the worst thing in the world. Ok 2nd worse, first worse is standing in lines. I wont do that either.
If there is a line for me I wont go in. I either no someone and don't wait or its not for me.

then again I have never been one much for following the rules. I do what I want.

Last edited:
:attn:
People with high skills or smarts typically undervalue them, psychologically proven. Whilst those with lesser ability tend to have high opinions of themselves.
My personal experience too. I see lots of dumb and ignorant people in positions of authority and high paying careers, while I'm doing menial labor on a 4 year medical degree. :shrug:

Was trying to get my sister to handle the "business" side of things while I just got to to the work. She was a book keeper and stuff so it didn't bother me. IT just didn't pan out as I never got around to getting my TIN, (part of the reason I wanted her to handle that stuff lol)

Nah I was in a good mood the other night (too good apparently :thup:) I wasn't angry posting. That was just my second experience with HPUX as I moved the workstation and did not have Ethernet run yet and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the "OS" to load so to speak. Took me probably 3-4 restarts till I went through the checklist of "pass" "fail" to notice it was the network. I found it quite funny how 10-15 years of windows totally had me floored when stuck with a CLI.

Back