• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Raid 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RAID 0 stores half the data on one drive and half on the other. That way it can write and read from both drives simultanuous. It increaeses the performance significantly.

because modern drives dont fail very often and most of us could stand to lose an os install. Everything just loads alot quicker. Next time your playing an online fps game and are sitting there waiting for levels to load just think about how nice it would be if it only took 1/2 as long.

;)

:p i got it ....thanx for those replies

so,
2 x 80GBWD+8MBCache
2 x 32GBWD Raptor +8MBCache

which one to get?
(currently owned a 80GBWD+8MBcache)

80GBWD+8MBCache seem to be lot cheaper than the Raptor, but wut about the performance? {In the case of RAID 0 + real world(not benchmark!!)}

raptors are going to have more "pep" than the standard WD drives because of the lower seek times. So opening up programs and the like will FEEL alot quicker. both will saturate your bus and not be far apart in max bandwidth.

and you will get a lot more space with the cheaper drives.
raptor are very expensive IMO.

I personaly bought 2 x 120GB ibm w/ 8 MB cache which are the fastest 7200 rpm drives (raptors are 10000 rpm).

try to find someone selling 2 40gb 2mb cache drives and sell your 80gb 8mb...the 8mb cache really does nothing in RAID 0. You can probably sell your 80gb for 75, then pickup 2 40's for less than 100 and save a ton over buying another 80gb 8mb drive.

But in terms of speeds, 2x raptors are sweet!

I love my 2- 60gb Matxors to take full advantage of the 133 interface but not that much difference on benchies. :D

buying another WD would give him 160gigs of space though, two maxtors is just 80 ........how is that better for him?

-I suggest spending 85$ on newegg and getting another 80gigWD

well if he's considering 2 raptors at 36 each I don't think space is an issue.

Why doesn't the cache help? Does buffering reads and writes all of a sudden not work because of raid? Thats very surprising and doubtful.

Yeah, i am still considering 2 Raptors but $$$ :mad: with this price, i can probably go for 4 80GB 8MB Cache WD

best bet is 2x120GB ibm with 8MB cache - they are the fastest ide drives after raptors and are $113 each and you will be getting 240GB space.

Best combination of performance + space / price.

LOL don't get the raptors? Depends on how deep your pocket is...

I myself would trade speed for space any day. I have two 80gb's, and I'm stuck wondering what the #%! I'm gonna do with all that space. If I have every game, every application I own installed, I am still using under 15gb.

I have a 4.2gb Seagate as my backup drive (for MP3's and the like), and I still have more space than I'll ever know what to do with.

Some people feel the need to have 240gb of storage, when for a lot of people it's mostly wasted space.

The Raptor seems like a seriously expensive component because it's only 37gb. For the space junkies, this would seem like a bad idea, because they like all the space they can get their hands on.

Truth is-- you stick two raptors in Raid 0, and not only will you have the fastest drive combination on the planet (short of super expensive solutions that I'm not aware of), you will also have close to 80gb.

Ask yourself how much space you really need?

The raptors are selling for about 20-30$ more than the 120gb 8mb cache Hitachi's. Check out tom's hardware of the like to see if the extra performace justifies that extra 20-30$.

Back