• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why should i disable cool n quiet for an overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

from what i'm told, it reduces clock speed to prevent high temps. with just CPUID HWMonitor and 4 firefox tabs open my Phenom X4 9850 BE is running at 48 degrees celsius. maybe it's normal for this old of a chip, but that seems a bit warmer than what it should be. heat is already an issue, a 5% overclock jacks boot temps up to 50 degrees celsius (5% being an increase from stock 2.5GHz to 2.6GHz roughly) so should i disable it or not? by the way i don't know if my CPU cooler is stock or not, after ordering this new motherboard so i could overclock i had a shop put it together and before that i bought the PC used at some other shop. so cooler is unknown. anyway if someone could clarify the whole cool and quiet thing it would really help.

Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU speed throttling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with its Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle.

It often interferes with stable overclocking some processors on some boards. Test it yourself and determine the actual results on your system, then you know what you personally need to do.
RGone...

i disabled it and didn't overclock, and restarted and went back to BIOS to check boot temps, and they were lower than ever before. you figure it out. the boot temps were 5 degrees cooler than what they usually are for the CPU and roughly 12 degrees cooler for the motherboard. after an OC to 2.74GHz, the boot temps for both the board and CPU were exactly the same.i don't get it, but hey i won't complain.

We don't use BIOS temperatures. Use Realtemp or HWMonitor from within Windows to compare.

still about a 5 degree difference in CPU temperature. i can't recall what the board temps were before though. the CPU would idle at around 48 or higher with this much of an overclock and is currently at 41 with 3 tabs and HWMonitor open

It's a good idea to have disabled Cool'n'Quiet while overclocking so you have one less thing that could cause instability while finding your maximum overclock. In most cases, Cool'n'Quiet can be enabled after you've found your max overclock and successfully tested for stability. You can also test for stability after enabling Cool'n'Quiet.

You can post a pic of your cooler and I bet someone here can tell you what it is, whether it's stock or not.

i tried 2.8GHz and i got page fault BSoD before windows finished loading, back to 2.74GHz and suddenly it's once again at 48 degrees celsius with just HWMonitor and this site open. what happened?

EDIT: temps suddenly skyrocketed so i went in and took the OC off and now back at stock 2.5GHz...what the heck is going on?

Last edited:
Always a good idea to learn how to overclock, before you overclock. If you don't know what cooler you are using, why are you overclocking?

i tried 2.8GHz and i got page fault BSoD before windows finished loading, back to 2.74GHz and suddenly it's once again at 48 degrees celsius with just HWMonitor and this site open. what happened?

EDIT: temps suddenly skyrocketed so i went in and took the OC off and now back at stock 2.5GHz...what the heck is going on?

I have recently resurected my old P x4 9850 and noticed the same thing. I have swapped 3 different coolers and finally with the CM Hyper 212 it only gets to 48° under p95 @ stock settings.

I haven't been able to find much to support this on the net but I remember when I first had this chip years ago, the general consensus was that the sensor diode was a bit wonky. I've tried HWmonitor, coretemp etc and they're all the same. Even CPU-z reports my voltage as nearly 1.5 when it's set to 1.36.
In the end the best advice I could give you is install a better CPU cooler and just use the system. I do things to mine that others shouldn't and this isn't my only CPU. So if anything happens it's all on me!

I know also that the early Phenom 1 cpus run hot; at least for me when I tested a 9650 about 6 mos ago. 200Mhz over stock on stock cpu cooler and P95 in blend mode the temp was showing 82c Cpu/Socket temp and it was hot feeling at the cooler also. But it rocked on thru 2 hours of P95.

Would I suggest you do yours like that? Heck n0. But like "Johan45" says, it is all on me if it fails and I found that cpu in the garbage can at a scrap yard.
RGone...

i'm getting a new CPU and things in a short time, so it doesn't really matter. i'll leave this one at stock and see where i can get with the Phenom 2 X4 970. i was going to get the 965 but newegg discontinued it.

Back