• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why you shouldn't open power supplies (w/video)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I was expirimenting for another use of a psu and I sorted the caps with a screw driver and it mad a spectacular bang with a big blue spark LOL shoulda taped that one :D it even welded the screwdriver to the solder points

Last edited:
This is a good thread to have up. Curious people really need to know things like this!

There was a recent incident where a young kid killed himself by opening up an unplugged but still charged PSU.

On the inverse, I had a good friend split open an old 380w PSU that stopped working. He unplugged it, held down the power button for 10 seconds, then popped it open, attempting to find any issues within.

Needless to say, he was lucky enough that I entered the room, because he was on the ground, turning blue. While easily revived, he had induced a terrible case of heart arrhythmia, and spent a few days in the hospital. It is worth noting he remembers being shocked while holding the side of his {metal} desk, so he got fried through and through.

I've serviced two power supplies in my life, and I use a resistor to discharge caps. I would never reccomend anybody split one open, there's just too much risk here :(

Neat video, I've never had to open up my PSU before but I'll definitely do my research on the PCB design before I started messing around with too much stuff

I have repaired quite a few PC power supplies. I usually just leave them on the bench for a few days while waiting for parts to arrive. Left unplugged, it will discharge the large capacitor.
Many power supplies simply have bulging or leaking capacitors which cause 90% of the issues out there today. Most are found in the rectifier circuit. It's usually the first thing I look for. :thup:

Properly constructed PSUs have bleed resistors to slowly discharge the main caps. Improperly constructed PSUs do not have those bleed resistors.

Back