• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wich socket 478 CPU should I choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L&M

Wich socket 478/LGA775(edited) CPU should I choose?

I'm thinking about switching to Intel and dunno what CPU to choose.

I want one with a 800Mhz bus and HT,but i don't know what to choose.I saw many critics on the Prescot,that's why I'd go with Northwood.Are those good?Northwoods I mean.
Wich frecv, should I get?2.4,2.8 or 3.0 Ghz ?

Last edited:
Are you building a system from scratch or are you using components from your current system? What kind of budget? What will you be using the computer for? Nowadays, I recommend the new socket LGA775 if you decide to go with a Prescott. If you are staying with a socket 478, then might as well get the 3.0C Northwood. Team it up with an Abit AI7 mobo and 2X512 RAM that will do 1:1 at 250 FSB. Look at the "red" rig in my signature.

Thanks for the reply,batboy!

I want to use some components from my current rig and those are:
-9800se@9800pro from XperetVision
-2x80Gb SATA WD drives in RAid 0;
-2x512 PC3200 from Kingmax;
-480W PSU from Tt;
-Tv Tuner Expert from Leadtek

So,basicly,the only 3 things I'll be changing are the mobo,CPU & SP-97.
I can't tell about the budget,'cause there would be no relevence,I live in Roamania and here are other prices.
I can't find that easy a socket LGA775 mobo,that's why I was thinking about the IC7 from Abit.

I can say I will be using this rig 50% gaming,40% video editing and 10% chating on various forums. :p

Any other advices?

Still if you can it would be nice to find a 865/875 chipset board with LGA775 socket. You would be able to use the rest of your components but have a board with a beefier PWM section ready for Prescott...

The Abit IC7 is a good choice, I have a couple of them. I suspect it's harder to find components in Romania than in North America or western Europe. What heatsinks are available? Can you find a Thermalright XP-90 or SLK-948?

If your buying a new mobo and cpu why not go for the new socket type instead of 478, using a older chipset.

The IC7 is a great board, and better for a prescott than the the AI7, but the AI7 will wring more out of a Northwood. The IC7's 2.8V Vdimm limit is not nearly as flexible as the AI7's 3.2V limit.

I would suggest an AI7 and 3.0c combo also; the SP97 works fine. If you can get the XP-90 or XP-120 do so, but the SP97 is not far behind. Only with really weak fans do the newer models perform significantly better. The IC7 would work, but the AI7 is both cheaper and has slightly more OC potential with the average northwood.

You should be able to run your Kingmax memory in 5:4 mode at reasonably tight timings. BH5 in 5:4 is awesome on the AI7, and TCCD Samsung in 1:1 mode is pretty good also. I expect your Kingmax will work reasonably well, but do keep in mind that with any new m/b cpu combo the existing ram may or may not prove satisfactory.

I can get any TR product here in Romania.
I know from AMD and nForce2 mobo that it's best to run in sincronization FSB w/ Memory (1:1,2:2... 5:5). Is this any different on Intel chips?

I'll have a look at that AI7.

Doesn't really matter for intel, but generally 1:1 is better at 265 fsb with loose timings, 5:4 is better up until then with tighter.

Im actually looking for a 3.0-C to replace my 2.4-C SL6Z3 (that either need a better PSU or has hit its limit?!)

My BH5 just came out ~600 points lower in Sandra running 1/1 2225 @ 230FSB than 5/4 2225 @ 260FSB (its not a timing-typo...)

Larva - is your experience of the BH5/AI7 combo based on your own system or have you other references to that union?

Anyways, I would think a 380+ PSU would be an absolut minimum to bring a Northwood on a AI7 with BH5 beyond 3200MHz regardsless of stock rating.

Am I mistaken?

I owned both a 3.0 and 3.4 Northwood system, as well as the two listed in my sig, i have to say, Prescott really takes off at higher clocks. Not only could my northwoods not hit these clocks (3.0 maxed at 3.6, and 3.4 could do 3.9 max) but at those clocks, the Prescott's come to life. Heat is an issue, along with PSU issues, but overall i like them better. If your other hardware is up for it, i say go 3.0E D0, coupled with an IC7-G. Just my opinion.

GO with the 3.0 d0 stepping. I got mines for $120 which is a pretty good deal. These prescotts clock really high btw. When clocked high is when u see some power

I think I'll get an AS8 from Abit,chipset 865PE and a Prescott 3.0Ghz from Newegg,cooled by an XP-90.What do you think about those?

Back