• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wifi question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kris

I have a new D-link 624 router and G650 pcmcia card. When I enable wpa the router will not renew the IP adress and I can't acsess the net. When I disable the wpa and run with wep everything works fine and I have no idea why :bang head . I have updated the drivers for both the router and card.

try this. go to start>run>cmd. then type in one of these. in this case release then renew.

Examples:
> ipconfig ... Show information.
> ipconfig /all ... Show detailed information
> ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters
> ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its
... name starting with EL
> ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,
... eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or
... "Local Area Connection 2"

I have the DI-524 and DWL-G650 with WPA and no problems.

What i've found is that the DLink drivers for the DWL-G650 isn't very good. I'm using HP drivers that are originally for the Atheros chipset, along with the Atheros utility to connect, and it's been flawless since. With the Dlink software, wasn't very good at all.

If you cannot find the drivers or utility, i will try to find them for you. Let me know.

Well it looks like it was a conflict with the router and the firewall I was running on my desktop. After I figured out what was going on and removed the firewall I have no problems connecting. My question is why would enabling WPA cause a conflict with my firewall? Very wiered

are you running xp? No drives, firmware are needed.
if so, double click the little network icon in your system tray..
uncheck the box that says"let windows configure my netwok settings"

actually.. ill post a link.. brb
go here:
LINK

Last edited:
i have a DI 624 and i have never had any problems with it since i updated the firmware on it.

Back