• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wii Nintendo Channel now live

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Nintendo has been talking for a bit regarding this channel, and the Japanese market already has it, but they released it officially in North America this morning. I played with it a little bit before I came to work and it seemed to work really really well. The setup was smooth and the videos that were displayed worked well.

I also tried out the DS Download service, and it works great, too! I pulled in a copy of Ninja Gaiden DS just to test the service out. Downloading was quick and seamless, and the demo loaded right up after the download. You can't store the demos though, which is kinda unfortunate, so as soon as you switch your DS off the demo goes with it. Overall it's a pretty slick little system and I'm going to look into it a bit more when I get home from work.

Also, in before 'I guess I'll dust my Wii off and take a look'. :rolleyes:

I can say that no dust has gathered on my Wii and I have been wondering why it was glowing this morning. It sounds pretty cool as I had not heard about this before. Apparently there is a section where you can place ratings on games you have played which should be nice.

Is there a way to keep Rainless out of this thread?:)

Played with the channel extensively. Videos load smoothly with no stuttering when they are playing. The rating system is cool but it's a little broken. I know I've got more than an hour into No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, SSX Blur etc but I don't see them on the list. Voting does work well, however, asking you 6 brief questions and presenting a slider for you to move to rate the game.

The real star of the show here is the DS Demo Downloads. It works great! Downloading is completely seamless and very intuitive. I tried out Ninja Gaiden (note to Miyamoto: Ninja Gaiden DS is how stylus controls should work to move a character. Take notes for Phourglass 2), Cooking Mama 2 (I finally realize why people actually like that game, but I'm pretty sure Mama is going to stab me to death with a dessert fork while I sleep tonight), and Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (absolutely abysmal). Nintendo could do some really awesome things with this, and I honestly hope that they do.

I would dust off my Wii, but I sold it.

It's nothing compared to Sony's PSN and upcoming HOME features though. Full movies, etc. etc. etc....

(8 more lines of personal experiance)

[/Rainless]

;)

I sold my Wii too, but that doesn't mean you can't go to the new owners house and dust it off and have a look at the new Wii channel. I arrived at my old wii's new owners house (WORST SENTENCE EVER) in my bathrobe and covered in charcoal just to dust off the wii for the occasion.

is this in a wii update or something? I cant seem to find it.

edit:
ahh i havent checked the virtual stuff yet...why didnt i think of that before work. Im guessing thats where it is?

Last edited:
I sold my Wii too, but that doesn't mean you can't go to the new owners house and dust it off and have a look at the new Wii channel. I arrived at my old wii's new owners house (WORST SENTENCE EVER) in my bathrobe and covered in charcoal just to dust off the wii for the occasion.

No one I know owns a Wii, I'm so proud :)

Well that was a waste of time, it's pretty much just preview videos I've already seen up on Gametrailers.

when does Wiiware come out?...in like a week or so right? I just recently moved and I haven't really had a desire to take the Wii back out of it's box....I'm hoping the wiiware games turn out to be good enough to motivate me.

Well that was a waste of time, it's pretty much just preview videos I've already seen up on Gametrailers.

I agree. Just a bunch of trailers. I see this stuff on the internet when I am looking for it.

They need to do demos of games for the wii.

when does Wiiware come out?...in like a week or so right? I just recently moved and I haven't really had a desire to take the Wii back out of it's box....I'm hoping the wiiware games turn out to be good enough to motivate me.

WiiWare launches on May 12, and there is plenty to get excited about with it. There are more than a few games on WiiWare that I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get my hands on.

Let's just hope Nintendo makes good on it's allusion of supporting external storage.

WiiWare launches on May 12, and there is plenty to get excited about with it. There are more than a few games on WiiWare that I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get my hands on.

Let's just hope Nintendo makes good on it's allusion of supporting external storage.

and by storage I hope it's the SD reader they put in the thing that they didn't build any functionality for....not some Nintendo branded overpriced external HDD

Back