• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a 480 Rad be enough for CPU + 2x 980s in SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yousif666

Registered
Hi

I am planning my water cooling setup and i am wondering if a 480 rad will be enough for a CPU + 2 980s in SLI and yes i am planning on overclocking of course, the thing is that i dont want to install a lot of rads since the 980 don't produce a lot of heat from what i read so will it be enough? if not then i guess i will be installing another rad, so what do you think guys.

Thanks

I thought of adding a 360 for CPU and the 480 for the GPUs and for the fans planning on corsair sp120

Temps should be ok there, but not great. That is, at stock, 450w to dissipate so you will need some good airflow on a quad rad.

I'd go 5x120 for better, quieter results.

Temps should be ok there, but not great. That is, at stock, 450w to dissipate so you will need some good airflow on a quad rad.

I'd go 5x120 for better, quieter results.

You mean running a 560 rad? perhaps its better if i go with 2 rads to avoid the high fan noise as one of the reasons i am going to water cooling is to make the pc silent.

I'd grab a 240mm radiator to add to your single loop, not much more cost than a 120mm rad.

The thickness of the rad depend on the airflow of the fans? for example a 60m thick rad will need a lot of rpm? i am looking for good temps and silent machine so what thickness i should go with??

Also considering Hardware labs rads, my old option was alphacool but i hear a lot of people say they hardware labs are more quality in build and the copper are perfect not like alphacool.

LOW FPI rads will operate at peak with less air,

from what I gather you are looking at two loops ?

if one it will not be one for the CPU and one for the GPU

It will simply be a total, a dual will work fine, but if you have room for a tri, why not as it will only serve to make it even quieter.

SP120's are decent, but there are better fans out there

LOW FPI rads will operate at peak with less air,

from what I gather you are looking at two loops ?

if one it will not be one for the CPU and one for the GPU

It will simply be a total, a dual will work fine, but if you have room for a tri, why not as it will only serve to make it even quieter.

SP120's are decent, but there are better fans out there

I will be getting the Corsair 900D case so i guess there are plenty of space in the case, and if i am going to add 3 rads how i will be making the loop? i will use rigid tubing. and please tell me what fans that are better? perhaps noctua fans?

Last edited:
Will get the D5 pump, from what i read it doesn't matter what brand because they are all the same just re-branding.

Will get the D5 pump, from what i read it doesn't matter what brand because they are all the same just re-branding.

That couldn't be farther from true.
The D5 will run that loop just fine, but not all pumps are created equal.

Check out the MCP50X though, newer tech, will save some cash too.

That couldn't be farther from true.
The D5 will run that loop just fine, but not all pumps are created equal.

Check out the MCP50X though, newer tech, will save some cash too.

Not really, all D5's are the same. They are just re-labled by the companies that sell them.

Newer doesn't mean better. The D5 has a long history of trouble free use, and is designed and made by one of the worlds largest and most successful pump manufacturers.
The 50X is designed and made by a small water cooling company and has no history besides some testing. There has already been some number of electrical failures with them though.

In regard to the OP, there is no size of rad needed for any loop. It all depends what speed fans you want to use. A 120 rad with very fast fans will cool the same as a 480 rad with slow fans.
For the parts you describe a 480 will work just fine even with low to mid speed fans.

Not really, all D5's are the same. They are just re-labled by the companies that sell them.

Newer doesn't mean better. The D5 has a long history of trouble free use, and is designed and made by one of the worlds largest and most successful pump manufacturers.
The 50X is designed and made by a small water cooling company and has no history besides some testing. There has already been some number of electrical failures with them though.

In regard to the OP, there is no size of rad needed for any loop. It all depends what speed fans you want to use. A 120 rad with very fast fans will cool the same as a 480 rad with slow fans.
For the parts you describe a 480 will work just fine even with low to mid speed fans.

He said all pumps, not all D5 pumps.

Also, the MCP50X is an improvement on the MCP35X, which is an awesome pump.
I'd love to see where you're saying they have been having electrical failures because Google finds nothing about the MCP50X failing.

I'd also love to see the testing that shows your 120mm rad keeping up with a 480mm rad.

Back