• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Current Gen Montherboards (Rampage Black...) Support the Haswell-E CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kill8r

Registered
The Haswell-e CPU looks impressive and comes out Q3 this year, but I note it uses a 2011-3 socket instead of 2011. I think I have answered my own question, but will the Haswell-e CPUs fit and be fully functional in a current Extended ATX boards like the Rampage Black Edition or MSI?

How big of an impact will the Haswell CPU have on quad SLI gaming compared to the the 4960x?

Thanks for all the help!

I'm almost sure it won't fit as too many things will be changed in new CPUs. We can also expect DDR4 memory controllers or option for upgrade to DDR4 on future boards so different voltages etc.
No matter if you use Haswell, IB-E or Haswell-E, it won't affect 3D much ( even on 4 GPUs ) as GPUs will make most calculations. Even now 6 cores are not much faster in games than 4 cores.

If it's going to scale like 1150 Haswell then I expect only slight performance improvement in games so generally waste of money :)

I'm almost sure it won't fit as too many things will be changed in new CPUs. We can also expect DDR4 memory controllers or option for upgrade to DDR4 on future boards so different voltages etc.
No matter if you use Haswell, IB-E or Haswell-E, it won't affect 3D much ( even on 4 GPUs ) as GPUs will make most calculations. Even now 6 cores are not much faster in games than 4 cores.

If it's going to scale like 1150 Haswell then I expect only slight performance improvement in games so generally waste of money :)

Good to know.... Starting my build :thup:

This brings up an interesting thought though. It doesn't seem like you see many people jumping ship from the 3rd generation Ivys to Haswell mainly because there isn't a huge performance jump.

How many years or generations do you think it takes to make it worth while to upgrade mobos and cpus?

The ROG R4E mobo will be able to use the new haswell-e cpu
Its on a different socket, so, it will not. See posts above. :thup:

It is DDR4 platform which also has different # of pins. No chance it works in any X79 board.

Last edited:
Semi off-topic... but intel, and AMD to a lesser extent seem to go through sockets like people go through socks nowadays....

Semi off-topic... but intel, and AMD to a lesser extent seem to go through sockets like people go through socks nowadays....

I don't know if ~3 years for a socket is so often. Usually 2-3 cpu generations are on one Intel socket ( LGA775 even more ).
AMD is changing FM and AM sockets every year+ but it's something different as even if some boards are supporting CPU then some cheaper models have issues with power delivery like 95W boards and 140W cpus.

2011 socket has already about 3 years and we saw 2 desktop generations but also all Xeons. This is platform for "power users" and isn't cheap so it supposed to last for longer.
I bet that Xeons will be still available for 2011 for next 1-2 years so I wouldn't worry about upgrades especially that now you can find 8/10 core Xeons for 2011.

Back