• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will faster DDR4 modules still be developed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Title says it all, are memory manufacturers still going to try and develop faster DDR4 modules? Or has manufacture of DDR4 parts ceased already?

I don't imagine faster parts than what we have already... There's no point with DDR5 taking (taken) over.

EDIT: I think any tweaks we see won't really matter to the end user or those still building using DDR4. The existing kits are plenty to get the most out of the platform.

Last edited:
Faster DDR4 won't be supported by motherboards/IMC, so there is no point in manufacturing any higher DDR4. What we actually see is that the fastest RAM is not even manufactured anymore. I mean 5000+ kits from most brands are not manufactured and, in most cases, not available in stores. What is left seems to be from older production.

ADATA, V-Color, and some others had DDR4-5600 kits based on Hynix DJR. You can see them listed on the QVL of some motherboards. However, they were barely available. In stores was easier to find something like that Team Group or Kingston at 5333.

On Intel was hard to stabilize anything above 5200. On AMD 5000, the non-APU max was about 5000. For 4000/5000 APU, it was up to 5400-5600, depending on the IMC. In short, even 5333 kits seem to be pointless, as you can find maybe 10 motherboards in total that support this speed, and you still need a CPU that handles it.

Every generation is getting faster only to some point. When problems with stability at a higher clock start, then the capacity goes up. When the new generation is close to release, then the max speed available in stores is going down (more expensive for production, so there is no point in doing it when the faster gen is out). The new gen is more profitable, so there is no point in wasting time and money on the older gen.

If anything there could be trickle down tech upgrades. Even then I'd imagine they would be to make the chips cheaper to produce.

I can see a company that has contracts and knowledge of the market try to tighten up production costs more than anything else.

Considering how RAM is scaling, the fastest is actually dual-rank ~3800 for AMD and dual-rank ~4400-4600 for Intel. In short, Samsung B (the same old Samsung B available for years) or Hynix A (the latest, higher-density IC).
I sold all DDR4 kits when prices were still not too low, except for one 2x8GB 3600 CL14 Samsung B, one Trident Z Royal 2x16GB dual-rank 4400 Samsung B as it's the fastest manufactured kit, and Ballistix MAX 2x16GB 4400, as it overclocks up to 5600+ on AMD or 5200+ on Intel. DDR4 kits are weirdly cheap nowadays, so I just keep them for possible tests on older motherboards.

DDR4 production is already limited, so its price probably won't drop anymore. DDR5 is getting cheaper at a ridiculous speed. Literally, I set on auction one of the 7000 kits, and I was wondering why I couldn't sell it ... then I noticed that its price went down by 30% in popular stores within a month.

We're 2 generations into DDR5 now and the 3rd is expected later this year. I'd guess DDR4 has been ramped down long ago, especially in the enthusiast PC area. Anyone still building a system around it today is probably looking for value so high end kits aren't a priority. It'll probably still get produced in appropriate quantities for other non-performance use cases. Probably a lot of long term support products (not PC) that might still use it.

Personally I'm keeping a few kits but they may get sold on if I decide to reduce DDR4 era systems further. Some are 4GB modules but no one wants them now. Others are 2R which are great just to turn on XMP and forget about it.

AMD has already moved to DDR5, even with the budget series. Intel keeps DDR4, but it's probably the last chipset generation. DDR4 will still be used in mobile devices and low-voltage solutions. It probably will be manufactured for some longer as a cache for SSD and other devices.

During the DDR3 to DDR4 transition Intel also allowed use of both with Skylake. I don't see much point in using old gen ram with a high end build, but it can make some sense for value builds or if you happen to have old high end ram already. Rumours suggest Meteor Lake will drop DDR4 support. If Raptor Lake Refresh ends up being the offering for desktop then I guess it could linger around a bit long due to that.

The main good thing about dual support is it allows testers to compare how performance stacks up across the ram generations.

Back