• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will i require new activation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Im not sure if WIN 7 OS will need a new activation when i have to exchange following stuff:

-New MB of same type (its basically exactly the same but another MB).

Other hardware will not change.

If so, could it cause any problems?! Whats the information it gets and whats stored on a database? Can i use the old key in term new activation is required?! At worst, could it be banned (without possbility to activate?) to use on the new board?! MS kinda freaking me off with that stuff.

Reason: I guess im gonna get a new board before i RMA old one. Tired of all those issues/waiting time. I will have other uses for the RMA machine (if i finally get a machine back at all) as a server-PC (for which i obviously dont need a expensive WIN OS), there is never enough PCs... just to less.

Last edited:
no you should be fine without re-activating.

not sure if they use the same point system as they used to but basically each part had a point value and if you went over three points you would have to re activate and a motherboard was 2 points.

even if you do have to re-activate its just a 2 minute phone call to a automated machine just be sure when they ask how many pcs you have activated you say 1.

Well i already had to exchange the old SSD, but the replacement was the exactly same type. And i guess at the very first days i once had to change RAM manufacturer because of incompatibility but thats already over 1 year ago, not sure if they will give me "penalty" for. Guess OS could be locked to the 990X CPU because its pretty rare that it ever will be "switched" and being locked to such a CPU is like asking for the ID to be "worthless" and unable to share. On top of that, CPUs live forever, in 15 years, not a single CPU have died so far.

Last edited:
they dont count ram,HDD, cd/dvd drives,power supply,or GPU's for that matter
realy i think they just count the cpu and motherboard now (2 points each)

they used to count ram/gpu as a point but i dont believe they do anymore with how many people change that out these days.

You won't have to worry about placing a phone call for activation until you get past 3-5 activations on the same key. I'm not sure what the actual number is, but you won't have to worry at all if it's just your second activation. Even if you do have to place a phone call, it's a pretty easy process, as jazon points out.

I had over 5 online activations already because of several reinstall. Its most effective way of getting ride of malware or programs that wont be removed properly in any other way... Unfortunately, every reinstall is in need of new activation. Anyway, the CPU wont switch, thats certain.

Its most effective way of getting ride of malware or programs that wont be removed properly in any other way...

You can set up things once then drive image your OS partition. When something goes wrong, simply reimage it back to when everything was like you want it to be,

If the OS partition is small, reimage can take place in as little as two minutes.

If the MB is the same model # you shouldn't have an issue.
I have a few Dells all the same model and I can swap the drive without any issue.

I got my second (barebone) system now of same type. Installed everything and now all stuff seems to work proper, even activation was no issue (online). I didnt even have to reinstall OS, i just started up new PC with the old install and seemed to work.

Phew im happy, but im happy the most that it didnt kill any of my other hardware (so the PSU at least had some safety mechanism) and now my USB 3.0 is working properly, which wasnt the case before.

I will try to RMA the old board and other barebone parts. Dunno if i get warranty though.

...and other barebone parts. Dunno if i get warranty though.

What other parts? Why waste money if you can just connect them to your new motherboard and test them?

The non barebone parts are already inside my new machine, they all worked proper, and they do not belong to Shuttle, so its nothing they should get.

The parts belong to the barebone is PSU, MB, PC case, USB 3.0 mini PCB and accessoires. Thats the stuff i have to RMA. Issues i had: System did not start up anymore because PSU or MB was defective, and USB 3.0 was constantly malfunctioning. Lot of issues, so its truly time for RMA. I would not try to repair, its to much of a mess.

Although i got me a second PSU, but thats just for emergency and i wont be able to repair the old PC with.

Didn't read the whole thread. So maybe they already said it.

But,nope, you won't require new activation. If it doesn't activates, give Redmond a call, and they'll ask you to certificate you're using it for a single processor. Then reactivate your key. That's it.

My joy didnt last long for that machine. The new machine had a freeze at screen saver too. This time its not:

-destroyed board
-busted up USB 3.0 ports
-unstable SSD firmware
-dead SSD
-Name even more issues for me... im a burned child...?!

This time its only the busted up SATA 3 port. Im sure next time they can throw even more issues at me, its very tiring and not acceptable anymore. What a worse product!

Although i finally was able to track down all the issues and know exactly where those issues are coming from.

The issues is mainly because of the terrible Asmedia USB 3.0 and SATA 3 controller who has been build by some foolish fate. Not a single one of those ports was fully stable on neither any of the 2 systems. I even dared to pulverize my cash because im unable to live a full month without my media/work machine. But the issues those systems created is unspeakable, a new level of poor craftmanship.

With those strong words said, i see not much point in keeping those machines up or repairing it, those Asmedia trash is beyond repair.

The hill of all the issues, the absolute peak of issues is the condition when a Asmedia PTA controller is combined with a SSD which got unstable firmware... thats like asking for the highest troubles possible.
And thats where most of my issues was coming from.

Well what im gonna do now?!

EDIT:
Repair of old PC failed because board is destroyed, now both PCs board destroyed... i try to RMA both and if possible i wish not to see them again, so i try to get a credit note for another PC... it might not be allowed but at least i can ask. I wish not to have that stuff anymore. Had enough of troubles, im done for...

MS ULT is probably now gone.... it will be difficult to activate for another PC. Im totaly busted and thats it. Dunno what to say, its simply the hard reality beating me

How i did write those stuff? With my Z77 Gamer PC that works but now i lack a good HTPC!!! I was even flashing its BIOS without any backup, because i started to become depressed and i didnt care anymore if another PC would be failing on me... the matter is hilarious. Luckily the PC didnt want to fail on me... well ok.. then lets have a single working PC.

Soution:
I will now salvage any part which isnt barebone and build a "recover" PC. It should finally work but another 400$ to spend, and 400$ already wasted (since i wont use barebone anymore, its trash). I will however have trouble activating Win 7 ULT now... thats certain!! Although same CPU will be used still.

Infos can be seen here.

Last edited:
Back