• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my computer be able to run this graphics card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Destructotron

Registered
I want to run a Radeon HD 7790 2gb GFX card.

Specs:

AMD FX 4300 Bulldozer quad core, clocked to 4.0ghz
8gb 1333mhz Ram
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
I got 3 HDDs, 1 is 500gb, 1x 1tb HDD, and a 60gb HDD (originally in a PS3, that YLODed) RPM unsure on them, hopefully that doesn't matter.
I got 4 case fans, 2 blowing in cold air (No ****), and 2 blowing out hot air.
And finally, the thing that will make or break me running the GFX card, the PSU.
Coolermaster Elite Power 500W.

Currently running a Radeon HD 7770 1gb, with no problems with this current setup, hopefully i will be able to run the 7790 2gb.

That 7790 has an 85w tdp you have more then enough to run that card.

What tdp (On the GPU) would be the limit with my computer do you think?
Oh, also, can i overclock my ram with this setup? And how far can i go without breaking the ram? It's one stick of 8gb.

Last edited:
You should get another stick of ram to utilize the dual channel capabilities of your board and unless your ram is really slow and your trying to benchmark ram speeds probably wont matter too much. As for the gpu you could probably get away with a 78xx series card I have a overclocked 3770k and a 7970 and I rarely draw more then 450 watts (not that you wanna push your power supply that hard).

You should get another stick of ram to utilize the dual channel capabilities of your board and unless your ram is really slow and your trying to benchmark ram speeds probably wont matter too much. As for the gpu you could probably get away with a 78xx series card I have a overclocked 3770k and a 7970 and I rarely draw more then 450 watts (not that you wanna push your power supply that hard).

I already have my 7770 overclocked a tiny bit, cooling seems good, 24 - 30 degrees celsius idle (Recently air dusted the GPU). BF3 Med/High settings (Some settings high some medium) 58 - 62 degrees celsius.
Is there any programs that i can use that will show how much my system is drawing in watts? Seeing as the 7770 is only 80w tdp and the 7790 is 85w, there isn't that much of a difference.

Buy a P3 - Kill A Watt meter it plugs into the wall and reads your draw pretty well. You can buy them at most stores.

CPU won't be a bottleneck, I wouldn't recommend it if you had a 6-core or 8-core FX. Should be fine with the 4-core though.

Are you going to crossfire those? That doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade to me.

Edit: Nevermind, it doesn't look like you have slots to crossfire. I don't think it is much of an upgrade, save your money to get something better in the future.

Are you sure? The GTX 760 uses 170w according to hwcompare, is this because my PSU is generally a good quality PSU? Would this GPU be bottlenecked by my 4ghz quad core CPU?

I wouldn't normally call cooler master psu good . But i didn't look up a review on your specific unit.

^He didn't read the bit about the 760.

Get a GTX 760 with your budget and PSU. I second that opinion. It'll murder a 7790.

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but what do you mean by "It'll murder a 7790"? Do you mean The GTX 760 would murder a 7790, as in it is better than it?

I might just get a 660 or 660 TI because i'm not sure if i can afford a 760. Oh by the way, is my system mid-end or high-end?

Last edited:
My son used to run 2 x 6850 in crossfire with a Seasonic 520W PSU and never had a problem. Now that he'll be getting a new and more powerful GPU I put one of the two 6850s in my home server which is powered by a $15 450W PSU. And guess what? There is no problem. In fact, using Kill-A-Watt I measured that the home server with a 6850 in it only drew at most 190W from the wall. So, if you are only talking about 1 GPU (HD7790 or GTX760) I'm sure your 500W Cooler Master PSU should be more than capable to power it easily.

I do have a cheap 650W PSU ($32) but i'm afraid i might damage my computer with it. 500w-br-black-psu-with-12cm-red-fan--pfc.jpg

I think i might just get a GTX 660 or a 660 TI, are they good enough? Are they mid or high end?

Last edited:
Back