• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will removing the NB HSF void my warranty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

The loudest fan in my system is the northbridge heatsink fan.

I'd like to replace this with a new heatsink and cool it with a Panaflo 12L.

I have three questions:

1. Will removing the northbridge heatsink fan void my warranty?
2. What is a good northbridge heatsink that will fit an an NF7-S under an SP-97?
3. Why is the northbridge so big?

Thanks

Probably.... That would count as a modification, and I bet that breaks your warranty.

Does anyone know of another way to lower noise?

Here's an idea I had: unplug the fan, and install the 12L on the case side ducted to the heatsink.

Are there any problems with this?

Stupid Boy said:
The loudest fan in my system is the northbridge heatsink fan.

wow really? what other case fans you got running by the way? my nb fan must be the quietest fan in my whole system of 6 case fans (2 on my radiator). i'm inclined to say it won't void your warranty but then again if Abit is really picky it just might void it.

1. What's a pinned heatsink?
2. The rest of the fans are Panaflo 12L's and one 120mm PSU fan. Some of the Panaflos are hooked to a fan controller.

a pinned northbridge heatsink uses pins that attach it to the motherboard over your NB instead of epoxy such as this one reviewed here: NB Maxx. it allows for easy replacement of the heatsink if needed since epoxied heatsinks are difficult to remove.

1. Will putting Artic Silver an the northbridge void the warranty?
2. How much worse will performance be if I don't use any thermal grease than if I do?
3. What software can I use to see my northbridge temperature?

Thanks

Re: Re: Will removing the NB HSF void my warranty?

Tango57 said:

wow really? what other case fans you got running by the way? my nb fan must be the quietest fan in my whole system of 6 case fans (2 on my radiator). i'm inclined to say it won't void your warranty but then again if Abit is really picky it just might void it.

Yeah, the NF7-S fan is really loud for some reason, I could hear it over 3 92MM tornadoes.

Stupid Boy said:
1. Will putting Artic Silver an the northbridge void the warranty?
2. How much worse will performance be if I don't use any thermal grease than if I do?
3. What software can I use to see my northbridge temperature?

Thanks

1. I have done it and newegg has accepted my mobo RMAs
2. There will be a HUGE performance drop. I'd say your temps would be about 20 degrees higher.
3. Speed Fan.

Back