• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will SCSI harddrives boost my system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Easybeat

Registered
Firstly heres the system which is used only for gaming:-
Abit NF7
XP3200
1Gb Ram
80gb 7,200rpm Maxtor (Windows 98)
2.4gb Seagate (Windows XP)
Radeon 9800pro
The whole system is a dual boot as a lot of my controllers will not work in Windows XP. The games played on it range from Doom3 etc right down to low level flash games.

Okay, so I have come across a couple 10,000 rpm 9.1 gb SCSI drives with an Adaptec controller card and I am wondering if these would give any sort of boost to my system. I planned to put an OS on each one (along with the newer games) and use the 80gb for storage of the older games.

I have zero experience of SCSI drives so any advice will be welcome.

Thanks

Scuzzy is real fast. It will blow Raptor SATA out of the water in terms of speed. I have had a scuzzy systems before and yes you do notice. Only when you are acessing your hard drives though. Load times will see a nice boost and seek times. Transfering files will be real fast to.

It is a premium option and you pay for it to. The cost is high for a good setup. I would say if your going to consider SCSI don't skimp. There can be quirks using scuzzy too.
Actually RAID(yummy Raptors) is the low cost alternative to SCSI. Having a scuzzy array is real sweet if you got the cash.

Edit: My old P3 server was a 6 disc array.

probably allot of people who ought sockect A systems when they were top of the line :D

i would say a Raptor as well if your board has SATA.

SCSi pffers real low seek times,Great transfer speeds and in my opinion are a good way to go for many reaons like durability for one..They seam to last and last..

I run a 15k scsi disk not only now but in my old dual socket A and there is a big difference running them..

BUT what you are listing I think are older slower models of scsi and even though there going to be fast I would not suggest using them on the basis there a lot faster ..

My Mobo doesn't take SATA so I'm going to give the SCSI drives a shot and see if they make a difference, at very least I will have learnt how to install them for the future.

I will more than likely upgrade to an A64 system sometime for my gaming PC but at the moment I'll stick with the cheap option, and considering the whole rig only cost about £150 maximum I don't think it's worth investing much more money in it.

Cheers

You are going to have to use a PCI card? Won't that make your drives slower than your IDE drives.

IDE ATA=133mbs

PCI=33Mbs?

Easybeat,

How many drives do you have and what type of SCSI card is it? I am curious.

I have 2 x IBM 9.1gb IEC-950 drives and an adaptec AHA 2940W PCI controller card.
I was fairly certain there would be no speed gain however when I was trying the drives out in the original case I got them from, I started to transfer some files (about 4Gb of MP3 files) across a LAN and the speed seemed quicker alot quicker than usual with the drive fairly rattling along. I transfer files alot like this so I was surprised which is why I posted the topic.

SCSI is superb over networks. It is a great server storage solution. RAID is the cheaper version of what you have.

I would run HDTach and compare it agianst the Raptor. Just to see how well it compares.

Back