• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this PSU be enough for my upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

I have a 350 Watt Enermax ATX PSU currently, that runs my current system fine with very stabile voltages. I will be upgrading my system in a week, and it will look like this:

3.0C @ 3.7 Ghz 1.58v
1GB DDR
IC7-Max3 mobo
radeon 9800pro videocard (overclocked - speeds yet unknown)
2x HDDs 7200rpm
2x optical drives

and about 20 watts of fans and CCFL

Will the PSU be enough (i doubt), and what would be a good upgrade if neccesary?

Enermax PSU's tend to have weak 12v lines, which will be the biggest draw in your system. I'd go with a Fortron or Sparkle 530 which should be more than enough power for your system for a decent price. If you can't get one of those then I'd go with an Antec TruePower 430 or above or a 400 or 350 watt Fortron with an 80mm fan.

No problem. Along with the wattage requirements it is also important to remember you need amps also. Stay away from any power supply with less than 18 Amps on the 12 volt line. I would say go for something in the 24-30 range myself.

Section8 said:
No problem. Along with the wattage requirements it is also important to remember you need amps also. Stay away from any power supply with less than 18 Amps on the 12 volt line. I would say go for something in the 24-30 range myself.

PSU makers can put whatever they want on the side of a PSU. There are no rating standards for PSUs and therefore the "rated amps" cannot be relied on to determine how much power a PSU will put out. Better indicators of quality and power output are brand-name, weight, and price. Fortron PSUs are underrated on their +12 line and will exceed them. Enermax PSUs are over-rated on their +12 line and can only achieve their ratings when all the other rails have minimal load and the PSU's internal temp is 25*C.

Last edited:
That's why I bought a PC Power and Cooling<--------

I have owned Antec and Enermax. I can overclock my system much farther and more stable than with either of the other PSU's.

Back