• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 - Network browsing issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Had a laptop go out to Dell support while I was on vacation. Dead hard drive that was replace with a new one with the usual start at configuring your OS image on it.

Went through the normal install, but once it was joined to our domain, it can only see about 1/5 of the computers it should. And when I type in the address of a computer/server that doesn't show up in the list, it fails with an unknown error. But I can do the reverse and reach it from the computer that it can't contact. Also, if I open a command prompt and ping the server by name or IP address, it responds normally.

Some researching implied that it might be a windows update issue. I then found that update was not working right. Going through the Microsoft troubleshooting articles for the error didn't fix it and I got up to the point where it is saying to do a wipe and reinstall to fix it.

I did get the option to search for updates online with Microsoft, and it found a couple and installed them. But when I try the normal check for update, the error is back.

Any ideas of what could cause this and how to fix it? Or should I just try the reinstall?

do you have the setting checked to make that device discoverable and to discover other network computer?

do you have the setting checked to make that device discoverable and to discover other network computer?

I was sure, but just to be safe I checked some guides and confirmed that I hadn't missed a setting and nothing had changed after I set it. Domain (current profile) is set to turn on network discovery and turn on file and printer sharing.

I'm running out of time to get this back to the owner. I guess I need to try one of the destructive resets.

Ok, destructive reset done. It sees about twice as many computers now, but still won't connect to a couple of servers that have resources it needs to access. These servers are running Server '03. I've changed the connection encryption setting to 56/40 bit able in addition to 128 bit. Still not connecting in the network browser.

Every other computer I tried to connect that wasn't shown in the list does connect. I've got about 25 Win 10 pro machines here and none of them had this problem before.

Found the fix:

Enabling the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client Windows feature and restarting the computer will fix network discovery.

Yes, I know SMB 1.0 is bad to use. I'll turn it off after we get rid of those servers.

Back