• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 64 bit, open office or office libre?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

I will be installing Win 7 Home Prem. 64 bit on wife's system in about a week. I have never used Win 7 or anything newer than XP before but since she will be going that route I will be having to install some type of Office onto the system she will be using.

She works with Excel on her job and a lot of MS office. I won't pay the price for a newer version of office to install with the OS (no turning this into a MS bashing thread please). Anyway has anyone used both Open Office and Office Libre and can point me in the direction of which they think I should install on her system?

Why do you need to get a newer version? Does the version you have not work on W7? I recall having 03 on a W7 64bit machine...

I'm a big fan of OpenOffice, been using it for quite a few years.

Just have her try them and see what she likes, OpenOffice is free... I've never used Libre so I cant comment on that.

Why do you need to get a newer version? Does the version you have not work on W7? I recall having 03 on a W7 64bit machine...

Had been reading a bit about them not being compatible but it looks like there is a work around to where I can keep her on Office 2000. Thanks. \

I guess I will give it a try when the time comes and see.

Office 2k? Wow... perhaps its time to drop the coin on a new version. Hell, even my company just migrated to 2010 from 2003...

Office 2k? Wow... perhaps its time to drop the coin on a new version. Hell, even my company just migrated to 2010 from 2003...

Easier said than done. Having to use what I can to upgrade wifes system and fix sons. The board on mine is starting to act up as well so just getting by with what I have to at this time. Once things get better then maybe I can go that route when I can afford to build 3 new systems since these are showing there age.

Two 955BE systems and a i7 920.

Also if yours or your wife's place of employment has volume licensing for MS office, you can ask about the Home Use Program. My employer was eligible, and I was able to get Office 2013 Professional Plus for $20 (even though my systems only have Office 2010 LOL).

Another option is Google Docs. Once you sign up for a gmail account you get 15GB of Google Drive space also? I believe Google Docs will open all standard MS file types.

Thanks Tokae.

Cullam3n may have hit it right on the mark, I talked to the wife last night and she said they have something like that at work and will let her have it so she is going to check in on it.

Back