• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN 7 crazy bloat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look at the file extensions and try to figure out what they are used by - then go after whatever the file extension is associated with to reduce the space it uses.

So if you figure out the extension for hibernation files, turn off hibernation to reclaim space.
If you look at the extension for System Restore files, turn off System restore.
The same goes for Virtual Machine file extensions, etc. That would be the way to figure out what is taking up space.

My multi-boot OS partitions show that:

My Windows 7 [Windows] folder is about 16GB, Windows 7 Program Files/Program Data folders are under 5GB and no other folder/file is over half a GB.

My Windows XP [Windows] folder is under 8GB, Windows XP Program Files folder is about 5GB and no other folder/file is over half a GB, other than pagefile.sys of course.

My Windows 8 [Windows] folder is about 22GB, Windows 8 Program Files/Program Data folders are under 5GB and no other folder/file is over half a GB.

My Windows Vista [Windows] folder is 8GB, Windows Vista Program Files folder is about 5GB and no other folder/file is over half a GB, other than pagefile.sys of course.

Screenshots of actually running Windows 8 Pro, where the Windows folder takes up by far the most space:

Attachments

• Windows8-Running1.png
    Windows8-Running1.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Windows8-Running2.png
    Windows8-Running2.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 34
I'm not sure, but do I have a problem with storage?

View attachment 165150

If you all didn't tell me how stupid I was I wouldn't know the truth :screwy: interesting lil app, no clue what it means though.
No one is calling anyone else stupid. Use the top portion of the program to expand the different drives/folders to see what is taking up the space. Items are listed with the most size are towards the top. The bottom is meant to be a visual representation to show approximately how big the files are compared to others.

Back