• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 installing update 5 of 8 frozen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

I shut off my pc around 10:30 and it started installing updates now at 2:30 am it is still stuck on installing 5 of 8, would just powering down the computer cause any problems? The only method I tried was CRT alt del but nothing happened when I tried that, I'm just going to see if it finishes up while I sleep till 8, any suggestions are welcome thanks!

I shut off my pc around 10:30 and it started installing updates now at 2:30 am it is still stuck on installing 5 of 8, would just powering down the computer cause any problems? The only method I tried was CRT alt del but nothing happened when I tried that, I'm just going to see if it finishes up while I sleep till 8, any suggestions are welcome thanks!

EDIT: there is also the little blue sphere circling to the lower left of the "pleas" in "pleas so not power off or unplug your machine". I don't know if this is revelent or if it is always there. Thanks again!

You risk bricking your Windows Installation if you shutdown during Update Installation. I had a smiliar situation, windows froze during installing updates and I took the risk. Windows worked fine after that. Just consider it could turn out the other way, too.

You risk bricking your Windows Installation if you shutdown during Update Installation. I had a smiliar situation, windows froze during installing updates and I took the risk. Windows worked fine after that. Just consider it could turn out the other way, too.

i risked it after 10 hours and i booted first in safemode and then restarted and all was fine :D, guess i got lucky. Maybe it was because I shut down with 4 things open, i dont know, but all is good so i'm good. And thanks for the reply!

Maybe it was because I shut down with 4 things open, i dont know, but all is good so i'm good. And thanks for the reply!
Windows either exits the programms before shutting down or displays a message you have to force the programms to quit before shutting down. I doubt it has something to do with that. Guess it was just a random freeze.

Im glad everything turned out fine :)

Unfortunately, Vista and 7 are known to freeze randomly on good hardware. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if 8 does the same type of bull, too. :(

It's the most likely to randomly freeze when re-logging in.

Because of bugs that Microsoft needs to solve. Seems to be related to maintenance programs.

Back