• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Fix for the broken Windows 7 update and very simple

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

If anyone still cares, I stumbled upon what seems to me to be the easiest fix yet for the broken Windows 7 update when installing from scratch.

1. Install Windows 7 from media as usual.
2. Choose "I'll Decide Later" when the installation process presents you with choices for installing updates.
3. Immediately after the installation is complete, go to Control Panel>Windows Update and click on the update settings link. Configure settings to "Check for but let me decide what to download and install." Do not leave it on Automatic.

(Skip steps 4 and 5 if your installation media comes with SP1 already.)

4. Allow Windows Update to search for updates. It will find several. Install them and reboot.
5. Tell Windows Update to check for more updates after rebooting. It should find SP1 to download and install. Do that and reboot to finish the SP1 installation.
6. Download the IE 11 stand alone installer and install IE 11. This process will also install necessary dependencies.
7. Reboot
8. Download and KB3102810 but do not install it just yet.
9. Reboot
10. Install KB3102810.
11. Reboot
12. Now run the Windows Update. It should find and install new updates without a problem from this point.

I stumbled upon this solution here: http://www.repairwin.com/windows-update-8007000e-error-solved/ after not having success with WSUS Update Offline which had worked for me in the past. The website I just referenced also suggested rebuilding the SoftwareDistribution folder but this proved to be unnecessary in my experience. The above steps worked for me on two different Windows 7 versions (Ultra 64-bit and Home 32-bit). If anyone has the time to try this method out it would be helpful for confirmation.

I Changed from 7 to 8.1, and haven't been able to get updates to work any which way yet with a fresh install. I tried methods I found here and on the wineitght forum for getting it going again if it was already installed, but no success. I chose to update automatically when I had the choice on install. I am not very far into installing software at this point, I am going to start over and try this method and see if it works.

I did a windows xp virtual machine, and chose to not install automatically, and windows update seems to be working on the xp virtual machine.

I have 3 machines that are currently being plagued by failing to update and causing the update process to use a ton of unneeded CPU cycles without succeding, so I will be trying this very soon.

I can confirm it working with the steps listed in the OP. 2 core 4gb installation in VM. I was going to try variations on the steps to see if/where problems occur, but I dont think I can stand to install Windows again today.

I have had good luck with the wsus offline updater. It downloads all of the updates and then installs them offline.

WSUS Offline worked just great for me a while back but lately it throws an error message and won't complete. Something like, "Can't download x64 glb." It acts like Linux does when there is a broken repository when you are trying to update.

I can confirm it working with the steps listed in the OP. 2 core 4gb installation in VM. I was going to try variations on the steps to see if/where problems occur, but I dont think I can stand to install Windows again today.

Thanks, knoober.

Humm did the Install KB3102810 step, rebooted, and told windows to search for updates and now it says could not search for new updates "windows update encountered an unknown error".

I was able to get WSUS to work though so thanks for that link!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, ssjwizard. All along it seems to me that the various solutions to this problem work for some but not others.

Back when I was an electrician apprentice I once asked my journeyman a question about how to do something and he told me "there's about 20 ways to do it and 11 of them are code legal, so pick one and do it." Also keep in mind this was not a fresh install it was on a currently broken install, so that may make a difference. Either way this thread fixed an issue I have been having for about a month so thanks very much!

Good input but suggesting to reinstall is not what I'd call a fix.

Well... It is broken out of the box nowadays. Not to mention the preferred fix for almost anything these days is reinstallation (programs or OS, Windows, Linux, and Android, etc). But I get where you are coming from, as I have often felt the same way

Did A Clean install of 8.1 Pro, chose to set updates up later. When install finished, went to windows update section and made sure that it was set for me to check manually. Downloaded KB3112336 and unplugged from the internet and did a reboot. After the reboot, installed KB3112336 manually, and had to reboot. After that, reconnected to the internet and went to windows update again and checked for updates, and it started to work, and has been since. I still haven't switched to automatic yet though.

Also, got some help from reading this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3165969/fresh-windows-install-checking-updates-stuck.html

I would not switch back to automatic unless you have the luxury to do this as an experiment. It's really not much trouble to check for updates manually now and then, especially if the system is not having any problems. That way you have time to research what problems new updates are causing and can make your own decisions about what to install and what not to.

Back