• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 preorder 50% off discount!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218101425
UPDATE!!! thx steve This is for upgrade verisons only!
Story i seen on google news. I think i might preorder the premium home verison.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet.

UPDATE!!!!!!!Ahh sry steve i just read that the story was written kinda confusing. Still upgrade edition ill take it lol. I got xp home and pro sitting here so if it only requires during a fresh install for me to pop the disk in so it can see that i have a copy im all in to save 150 bucks to pop a extra cd in for 3 seconds.

Last edited:
FYI, this is only for the Upgrade versions.

I only know cuz I had read TomsHardware article on it this morning. =p

Last edited:
Hrm. They sent many of us here on the forum free retail copies of Vista Ultimate for doing some surveys and letting them monitor when our systems crashed. Think I'm going to hold out for a similar offer with W7.

Hrm. They sent many of us here on the forum free retail copies of Vista Ultimate for doing some surveys and letting them monitor when our systems crashed. Think I'm going to hold out for a similar offer with W7.

I don't see that scenario happening but you never know. Like you, I got Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 for free, so I'll probably pre order a copy of Windows 7 tomorrow, reason being is that this offer expires in July; or whever they sell out.

IMHO, I really don't want to pay Window 7's MSRP when there's a 50% off on the table come tomorrow, especially since MSFT has given us plenty of freebies in the past. Unlike Vista, I know I want Windows 7

+1 Thanks for posting this rumbl3!

Make it plus 2 :)

ugh upgrade version, i hope it just uninstalls my copy of vista and installs windows 7, and that is what they consider an upgrade, i don't want it just patching stuff in and making it windows7 like magic =p

im sure they would make it able to do a fresh install just like my windows xp home upgrade edition. Because they would probably make alot of people mad if they found out they had to reinstall say xp then turn around and now install that over it.

since windows 2000 i've never bought a full retail copy of any windows just upgrade editions. I don't have vista tho so no clue how that works. But both my xp pro and home upgrade (got my pro for 5 dollars threw school back a long long time ago lol) and both just ask to see my 2000 or 98 cd looks at it then tells me to pop back in my xp cd to continue the fresh install.

i wont buy a copy of windows "vista 2nd try" ... eh um Windows 7. No way in hell am i giving MS any more money for crappy *** os's

I love XP... and had NOTHING BUT probs with win 7 when i tried out the beta... im sure its gotten better but untill i absolutely need it its not gonna happen.

BTW i thought MS was gonna give free win7 keys to everyone who bought vista retail?

They are already going to be sending out free copies of Windows 7 to people that recently purchased laptops or stand-alone versions of Vista Ultimate.

I got XP free, Vista Free (both regular and Ultimate), Windows 95 free... I have absolutely no reason to believe they won't be giving away Windows 7.

Hell... I got Windows 3.1 free and I still have the disks to prove it.

So if you like making charitable donations to the Microsoft Corporation... go right ahead.

If you'd care to make a wager though...

I'd like to know if upgrade versions can be installed on top of itself stand-alone the same way Vista can. If so I'd get it, if not I won't bother because I don't want to kill my Vista license to upgrade - I'd actually like to use it on another computer.

I'm considering purchasing it. MSFT didn't do any of the Vista giveaways in Canada like they did in the US and the price of Win7 will probably remain static for the majority of its lifespan. I'll probably decide when I see how much they screw me with the exchange rate. :rolleyes:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

Here's a direct link to microsoft. I went there and it detected that I was using Win7 and said "hey thanks for helping us test Win7, you can get a copy real cheap"

To access the link in the page, you have to be using IE (I couldn't access it with Firefox; typical MS :))
EDIT: Tried again and FF worked :shrug:

And looking at the differences in the versions, I don't really see why Home Premium wouldn't work just fine for me. I've been using Win7 for a few months and used Vista since a few months after it came out. I've not really came across any issues (certainly not lately) where I couldn't get a program to work that I needed. I'd imagine it is more for people that use legacy apps or something.

But otherwise I have no use for Domain connections, Auto backup, Bitlocker, or multiple languages. If those are the only differences between Home Premium and Pro/Ultimate, I don't see the value in those to the average person.

I just hope I can convince my fiance that $49 is too good of a deal to pass up! And I really hope that the upgrade will allow me to do a fresh install just by providing one of my vista CD's or Keys....

Last edited:
Were you charged or will it charge when it ships? Not that I can't swing the $49 I'd just like to know. I hope by the time it's due to ship we'll know on the upgrade-trick question, I'd rather not give up a key I already have that can be put to use, that also makes it less of a value because you're paying old license+new license in total.

It looks like I wasn't charged. I can still make changes to the order regarding payment.

IIRC, Amazon does not charge you until the order is ready to ship, but I won't know for sure for a couple days as my Visa statement does not update instantaneously.

Ordered from Amazon as well. I almost always get orders from them the next day. So that should ensure quick delivery come October.

And the email didn't say anything about charges. I'd assume it won't charge until it ships. :shrug:

I just ordered Windows 7 Home Premium from Newegg. I may or may not install it on my laptop... but $49 is cheap enough that it's worth it. I paid full price for my Windows Vista copy and I've been completely happy with it. From what I've seen from the Beta, Windows 7 is definitely worth $49.

Back