• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 preorder 50% off discount!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you didn't read my post. Im not talking about oem, or anything. Im talking about you have 1 computer. you have windows Vista Ultimate installed. You want to upgrade to 7 Home Premium. You can purchase the Upgrade version to 7 Home Premium legally, and use it on that computer legally. However, the upgrade feature will NOT work for this move, so you have to do a clean install. Still legal and still allowed. So why are they telling people that they HAVE to get the Ultimate Upgrade and/or the full version of Home Premium? It seems to me they just want the extra money, and they're going to get it by telling half the story.

Ahhh ok.... I guess I confused different posts. Sorry about that.

yes, I also agree that it sucks that you cannot upgrade from ultimate to Home premium. It's almost as if they punish the people that pay too much money for their premo version.

Is there really anything compelling in W7 that would FORCE a Vista/XP household like mine to upgrade? Even at 50% buying a new OS and spending all that time reinstalling/testing all my various apps seems like a steep price to pay both in time and money (unemployed). I mean, they claimed to reinvent the wheel with Vista and that was, well, XP v2. This looks like Vista v2.

Is there really anything compelling in W7 that would FORCE a Vista/XP household like mine to upgrade? Even at 50% buying a new OS and spending all that time reinstalling/testing all my various apps seems like a steep price to pay both in time and money (unemployed). I mean, they claimed to reinvent the wheel with Vista and that was, well, XP v2. This looks like Vista v2.

well, in my experience so far, 7 has run every program that vista wouldn't. so if it does anything, it enables you to put all your pc's on the same page.

you didn't read my post. Im not talking about oem, or anything. Im talking about you have 1 computer. you have windows Vista Ultimate installed. You want to upgrade to 7 Home Premium. You can purchase the Upgrade version to 7 Home Premium legally, and use it on that computer legally. However, the upgrade feature will NOT work for this move, so you have to do a clean install. Still legal and still allowed. So why are they telling people that they HAVE to get the Ultimate Upgrade and/or the full version of Home Premium? It seems to me they just want the extra money, and they're going to get it by telling half the story.

I would have to get a hold of the actual EULA and read but MS seems pretty intent on the fact ultimate has to go to ultimate, whether that is just marketing or actually in the EULA I don't know.

well, in my experience so far, 7 has run every program that vista wouldn't. so if it does anything, it enables you to put all your pc's on the same page.

Curious, what programs are you not able to run on Vista? You make it sound like there are many, and I'm going to have to disagree.

Curious, what programs are you not able to run on Vista? You make it sound like there are many, and I'm going to have to disagree.

not what i meant. the 'compatibility' mode of 7 is much more refined, and my older games work better under 7 than vista. thats all i meant. that and networking is easier for those not so tech savy...

Anyone know if your going to have to actually give you xp cd key? I got two keys anyway, but every upgrade i've ever used only wants to see the disk and that's it.

But i just see all this "debating" or "discussing" or why full retail or upgrade yada yada yada.

IMO retail on a realistic stand point is mainly to snag the non tech people. Which is anything like the gamer market these days (casuals rule) they probably buy a retail copy and would never know they could of got a upgrade for half price because just the thought of installing a cd almost makes them have a heart attack.

So while a good majority of us computer hobbyist get away with the good deal mainly because most of us probably own a majority of windows software released, while the "casual/avid" computer users which make up the most percent make microsoft a pretty penny on that.

Just to Verify:

Only difference between windows 7 pro and windows 7 ultimate is diff languages and bit locker? I was about to get the upgrade but didn't know if i still need ultimate...

Just to Verify:

Only difference between windows 7 pro and windows 7 ultimate is diff languages and bit locker? I was about to get the upgrade but didn't know if i still need ultimate...

That's what I gathered too, and chose to get a Win7 Pro upgrade for my Vista Ultimate. Hopefully that will work.

Just to Verify:

Ultimate is not so 'Ultimate' in Win 7 if you ask me....

I ordered the Win 7 Pro today from Amazon being it the alleged last day to order. Amazon won't charge me until it ships, so if I get it for free between now and then, I'll simply cancel the Amazon order. ;)

Back