• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 preorder 50% off discount!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just order now, it won't be charged until it ships. The offer extends through July 11th or 'while supplies last' in any case...obviously they can't run out but I guess MS has a set number they will sell at this price.

EDIT: OK....after dealing with 2 MS chat sessions which ended in a copy paste of the FAQ page for upgrades, (The second link posted above) I called and spoke with Microsoft Sales and they confirmed that you have to upgrade to an equal or greater version of Win7 AND that you can, indeed upgrade from a 32bit version to a 64bit version.

Ok so unless Im misunderstanding this:

I have Vista Home Premium 32bit, if I purchase the $50 W7 Home Premium Upgrade (which supposedly comes in 32 & 64 versions) and decide to install the 64bit...

The above can be done?

Even with tax, this can be considered a deal if you can get up off your butt and have a close microcenter.

I personally chose to spend the extra $10 or so ($95 total cost with tax, compared to $99 + on release date delivery = $105) because I know I won't spend the time to actually drive the 3 blocks from my work to microcenter and buy it. :beer:

Plus.. what if I don't end up working on Oct 22nd? Then I'd have to drive 15 miles to pick up my copy on release date! Wow, forget that trouble! :D

How to get your Windows® 7 Upgrade Savings Coupon:
1. Come to Micro Center between 6/26/09 - 6/28/09 and ask an associate about the Windows® 7 Upgrade Coupon.
2. Choose either Windows® 7 Home Premium Upgrade coupon or Professional Upgrade coupon.
3. Name, address and email are required, but no purchase is necessary to receive the coupon.
4. Return to Micro Center between 10/22/09 - 11/4/09 with your Windows® 7 Upgrade coupon to purchase your upgrade.

No purchase is neccessary now and you can just grab the coupon.
I do not have one near me unfortunately :( Otherwise this would be a great deal.

Ok so unless Im misunderstanding this:

I have Vista Home Premium 32bit, if I purchase the $50 W7 Home Premium Upgrade (which supposedly comes in 32 & 64 versions) and decide to install the 64bit...

The above can be done?

Yes, you will just have to do a clean install but the key you have from Vista will work for the upgrade.

Well got my coupon from Microcenter for 39.99....obviously no payments were made or creditcard numbers taken. All I need to do is present the coupon and the cash in Oct 22 and I get my CD =)

I don't like not paying up front. I have the money now, but who says the money will be there in October? I don't want a random *** transaction just removed in October, ugh.

I don't like not paying up front. I have the money now, but who says the money will be there in October? I don't want a random *** transaction just removed in October, ugh.

Heh see i liked it cause at this moment I am broke, but want to catch the 50% off deal, so I ordered from the MS store and just gotta make sure I got 50 in there by then which i will, just had a bad week of my kid breaking someone's ds and few other bills pop up lol.

Go to best buy and you can pre-pay there. Of course you'll have to pay tax but you can go ahead and pay.

Uh, it might work but if it's like most upgrades you probably shouldn't then continue to use the laptop license. I think the 'clean install upgrade' trick will work again though.

I was thinking If I can use my laptop key to install the upgrade on my new box think that would work?

Your laptop key is probably OEM.

OEM versions with upgrade installs are iffy at best. you'd need an official response I think.

There's nothing wrong with ordering while the deal is on and cancelling it later if it turns out it won't work for you. I'm a bit unsure if I want Home or Pro though, remote desktop would be nice but idk if it's worth $50 or if there are 'as good' alternatives to add to Home.

I'm tempted to order Win7 but I'd need to know if it would accept the "upgrade" version of XP retail. Because if not, then I'd have to go all the way back to Win 98se for the non upgrade start, and I have no effing idea where I left my copy after I did the last full format and reinstall of OS.

Only Microsoft would make upgrading so difficult.

I'm ordering just to hope it works for an upgrade. I hate giving MS even $50 though :\

Beats $100 or so for retail copy most of the time.

I would think M$ is doing this to encourage the LEGAL sales before pirates could hit with counterfeit W7 stuff. More sales before pirates can start counterfeiting = less customer = less ill gotten profit for counterfeiters.

Back