• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 preorder 50% off discount!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just ordered Win 7 Pro from Amazon. Got pro because I need the XP compatability for the VPN Client I have to use for work and the hope that we will have a VPN client that works natievly with Win 7...............

I own a copy of XP Home and XP Pro, both OEM though, will I be able to purchase the W7 Upgrade or do you need a retail copy of XP?

I recommend Pro as the virtual XP mode will no doubt be needed. Premium for other machines in household. Pricing is still lame this time around as Microsoft didn't learn all their lessons with Vista. Ultimate is even more worthless.

Last edited:
ok, so just to clarify, for myself and others:

You can purchase ANY of the upgrade options for ANY Vista or XP version, but can only use the actual 'Upgrade' feature in conjunction with the hierarchy tree given earlier. Otherwise you just have to do a reformat and clean install to the Upgrade version you purchased...

so this begs the question... wtf is the point of a full version then!?

ok, so just to clarify, for myself and others:

You can purchase ANY of the upgrade options for ANY Vista or XP version, but can only use the actual 'Upgrade' feature in conjunction with the hierarchy tree given earlier. Otherwise you just have to do a reformat and clean install to the Upgrade version you purchased...

so this begs the question... wtf is the point of a full version then!?

To be legal?

Bravo to Microsoft. Trying to eliminate all the issues, high prices, confusion and fear caused by Vista....to only do it all over again with 7.

Im not talking about loop holes, It says it right there on the damn upgrade site, that clean installs are allowed. so i pose my question again.

Im not talking about loop holes, It says it right there on the damn upgrade site, that clean installs are allowed. so i pose my question again.

Allowed provided you still have a licensed product on the upgrade list. Just sayin, don't see what's so difficult here.

if you are buying an upgrade version of a software in a store, where exactly are you giving them your current license to be put on a list? I can understand for the preorder, its a nice way to try and control fraud, but after release, I doubt they're going to take a tally of everyone who buys the product off the shelf.

So I still want to know why you would buy a full version if the upgrade does the exact same thing, clean installs and all? there is nothing illegal about it.

if you are buying an upgrade version of a software in a store, where exactly are you giving them your current license to be put on a list? I can understand for the preorder, its a nice way to try and control fraud, but after release, I doubt they're going to take a tally of everyone who buys the product off the shelf.

So I still want to know why you would buy a full version if the upgrade does the exact same thing, clean installs and all? there is nothing illegal about it.

If you read the license agreement you are supposed to have a prior license of a previous OS. If you don't you are still pirating.

If you read the license agreement you are supposed to have a prior license of a previous OS. If you don't you are still pirating.

understood, I know my legal T&C. I know full well that if someone is coming from linux, or building a new rig, they will have to buy a full version. my point is this:

They say that if you are going from vista ultimate that you have to upgrade to ultimate. if you want to go to Home Premium you would have to buy the full retail version to be able to install it as the upgrade will not work properly otherwise. But if you dont need the actual upgrade feature, you can use the Home Premium upgrade to wipe and do a clean install.

I should have phrased it a bit better in my first post. I was putting everything in regards to this upgrade program they have. For current XP/Vista owners, what is the point of the full version? You aren't breaking any EULA by going from Vista Ultimate to 7 Home Premium, so why are they telling you to get a full copy or the ultimate upgrade?

understood, I know my legal T&C. I know full well that if someone is coming from linux, or building a new rig, they will have to buy a full version. my point is this:

They say that if you are going from vista ultimate that you have to upgrade to ultimate. if you want to go to Home Premium you would have to buy the full retail version to be able to install it as the upgrade will not work properly otherwise. But if you dont need the actual upgrade feature, you can use the Home Premium upgrade to wipe and do a clean install.

I should have phrased it a bit better in my first post. I was putting everything in regards to this upgrade program they have. For current XP/Vista owners, what is the point of the full version? You aren't breaking any EULA by going from Vista Ultimate to 7 Home Premium, so why are they telling you to get a full copy or the ultimate upgrade?

The whole "legal" thing here is that if you are talking about upgrading from an OEM version (one that is preinstalled on a prefab computer; ie a dell, etc) then you would only still be legal if you were installing this Win7 upgrade on that same system.

But say you have an old case sitting in your garage from an old dell and it happens to have a windows Xp license sticker on it, it would be ILLEGAL to use that license number as your upgrade base.

An OEM license is only supposed to be used on that system on which it was first installed or with which it was purchased. Same goes with using it for an upgrade base.

you didn't read my post. Im not talking about oem, or anything. Im talking about you have 1 computer. you have windows Vista Ultimate installed. You want to upgrade to 7 Home Premium. You can purchase the Upgrade version to 7 Home Premium legally, and use it on that computer legally. However, the upgrade feature will NOT work for this move, so you have to do a clean install. Still legal and still allowed. So why are they telling people that they HAVE to get the Ultimate Upgrade and/or the full version of Home Premium? It seems to me they just want the extra money, and they're going to get it by telling half the story.

Back