• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win 7 sound volum changes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metlcub

Ok I have a SB Xfi, reinstalled windows since I got a new ssd. i've had this issue before and could never fix it, with onboard or with the sound card.

Randomly playing music with itunes, the volum will drop from 100% to like 40% then come back up.. no volum controls are actully turning the volum down,

I have 'do nothing checked: in the options for sound "when windows detects communications activity.

It's realy annoying when listening to an audio book, cause sometimes i'll have to rewind the audio file some to hear what i missed.. Any idea?

idea #1. Check to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard

idea #2. Try reinstalling windows 7 using a different disk, like one you borrow from a buddy, just in case there is an issue with the disk you got.

idea #3. try using a different keyboard in case the one you got is futzy and is sending the 'volume down' commands to the computer

idea #4. Exorcism.

non of the volum controls move, it's like the music dims, for other sounds.. it's happend with other installs of win 7, never did it in vista, only in win 7 ultimate 64.

2 differnt hardives it did with
3 differnt keyboards over the past installs. im gona check in the SB program stuff..

does it happen with your speakers? does it still happen when using your headset plugged directly into soundcard.
sounds like your volume control knob pot is bad.

idea#5. if you have onboard sound then try using that for awhile and see if the problem persists. then you will know if your problem lies on the SB side or the computer side

#7 right click on volume icon > playback devices > communications tab, check do nothing, click OK.

thats the only thing i could think that could dimm sounds etc.

A TON of people have this problem, including myself. Lots of people claim its not a Win7 issue, which it is. I tried different sound cards and had the same problem.. volume seems to fluctuate randomly (but very noticably). Never happened before on same hardware until Windows 7. Tried all the 'Loudness' settings. Updated all the drivers. Tried multiple sound cards.. nothing seemed to help.

Then I found one post that seems to help.

Open Windows 7 Mixer, set the 'Device/Speakers' volume to 95%. Then select for all the other sliders, like Media Player, set it to 10%-25%. Adjust volume using your physical speaker volume knob.

So far this has worked great for me.

Again, anyone who is as frustrated as I was about this, for two years now, I feel your pain. Maybe Microsoft will actually investigate this problem and solve it. Right now they continue to blame drivers, but that is a load of crap. And to those that say this is a 'feature', no.. you are wrong. I disabled the 'feature' (ie: the Do Nothing option). It did not do diddly.

Back