• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 will not update?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried to install the System Update Readiness Tool but was presented with the error “Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000222”.

The fault was caused by a corrupted SoftwareDistribution folder. So if you rename or delete %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and then try Windows Update or the System Update Readiness Tool, the problem is then fixed.
Source: criten.org

Anything?

Not to insult your intelligence but do you have the date and time set correctly? That can cause issues with updates.

I saw that fix earlier, my date and time are set correctly :thup:

Thanks for the help guys...I really appreciate it..Im thinking a re install might do the trick, that might be what I did the last time this happened.

If this is a clean install, something is seriously wrong. Drop your system to stock settings and do a clean install. If that works, your system might not be as stable as you think.

EDIT: New page that I didn't see. I still stand by my suggestion, though.

I did a clean install, updated Windows FIRST...updates were sucessful. Then I updated the chipset drivers and guess what...same error for window updates. I am making my Jackie Chan WTF face :shrug:

FIXED IT!!

I went to services: Windows Update: Stop

Delted files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\
tried updating...VOILA, I'm back in business :clap:
Gawd that was a frustrating ordeal. And this was not the fix I used the last time this happend.
Thanks all for the ideas and help.
what I lack in experience I make up w/ appreciation for all you on the forums!

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Errors like that are always annoying.

As a suggestion...
Change the automatic update settings to check for updates and let me chose to download and install them, sounds like you may hit on a bad one such as 1033. Not uncommon at all for M$ to release a bad update and for custom boxes it can happen a lot.
Usually as a rule I try to do a clean basic install, then usually hard wired cat5 and let windows pickup the hard ware driver to at least get it to a stable install of Windows. Once it is stable with all the drivers installed I usually go for all updates and the rest of the updates to make it all neat Win 7 is getting really big with so many updates, it would even be smarter to take them a few at a time till completed, once the updates are done then I go for the newer hardware updates basing it all on a stable install of the OS at that time.
Accept my apologies if I seemed a little sort earlier but was busy with 4 laptops on the bench, and wanted to provide you with a realistic fast answer to get you going in the right direction, sorry if I don't always have time for "War & Peace" but wanted to make an attempt to get you headed in the right direction, since you did not say which win 7 you were loading I guessed it could be one of the torrent AIO releases that seem to have many install issues due to poorly written boot loaders.

As a suggestion...

Accept my apologies if I seemed a little sort earlier but was busy with 4 laptops on the bench, and wanted to provide you with a realistic fast answer to get you going in the right direction, sorry if I don't always have time for "War & Peace" but wanted to make an attempt to get you headed in the right direction, since you did not say which win 7 you were loading I guessed it could be one of the torrent AIO releases that seem to have many install issues due to poorly written boot loaders.

No worries...happens to me too. I appreciate all the help :)

I may have found the culprit...Ill still look into your suggestions but right now as I am updating my Gigabyte software/drivers, my most current windows update stopped w/ an error. I looked at what was being installed and it is:
Intel® System Management Software
Ill have to look and see what precisely is in that package to cause the issue, it may be the Intel rapid storage technology..ill post back as someone else will come to the forums w/ the same issue looking for a solution.

Back