• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED win 7sp1 BSOD in 2d but not 3d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robble

Having a problem with the rig in my sig. I have no problem running benchmarks/games but on rare occasions while websurfing and ~every 10 minutes while watching netflix, the computer crashes (reboots), does a memory dump, and when windows starts back up it says it has recovered from an unexpected error. When I click on "more info" the only plain english thing is it says is that it had a blue screen.

I don't remember the AMD driver version but it is the latest one. I also put all the speeds back to stock to no avail. Motherboard drivers are all the latest ones too.

Any ideas? I'm sorta leaning towards a software problem since I can play 5 hours of Diablo 3 with no problems but can't watch 15 minutes of netflix.

next time you get the BSOD right down the error code for us it would help alot.
but that being said 90% of the time i see a pc getting BSOD its a memory issue.
i would try to test your ram with memtest for a few passes and see if you get any errors.

Last edited:
Check the Event Viewer logs for any critical errors related to the time of the most recent BSOD. Start--> Type event viewer in the Start Search field, and hit ENTER. When you open Event Viewer and expand Critical, Application, or System logs - under "Windows Logs" (or look under "Summary of Administrative Events--> Event Type--> Critical)... double click the specific error so it opens in the Summary Page Events window. Next click on Copy--> Copy Details as Text in the RH pane, and paste the contents of the ClipBoard in this thread.

Is this what you are asking for?

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/20/2012 9:15:19 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: i5
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-06-21T07:15:19.180008200Z" />
<EventRecordID>14754</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>i5</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">209</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x9</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x2</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff88001845b1f</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

ok, wasn't sure how to do a nice print out so I took a couple screen shots.

Sorry about the size in advance.

well looks like you problem is your ram you have 12 gigs so i would guess your page file is never used so it kind of rules that out.
so run this http://www.memtest.org/
let it run at least 5 passes and see if you get errors.
just follow the directions on the website you'll have to burn it to a cd or put on a bootable usb.

Looks more like a driver issue. (Even though it seems to show more than one thing as the cause.)

Is this what you are asking for?

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/20/2012 9:15:19 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: i5
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.
Yes it is. Check out this MSKB article for troubleshooting steps...

Description of Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

... and also check out this thread:

[SOLVED] Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Critical Error
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677174

I swapped the memory modules with a spare set and the exact same thing happened again - 3 reboots within 45 minutes.

redduc900 - thanks for the link to that thread in this forum. It looks to be pretty much what I'm experiencing. I'm going to check my cool & quiet settings since that is what seems to have cured that OPs problem.

didn't find cool and quiet setting but i did fine the cE1 seting and changed it from auto to enable.

It didn't work. It is continuing to bluescreen.

since I kept seeing tcpip error in the blue screen I switched my lan cable from one of the lan ports to the other.

netflix has been playing for almost an hour without the computer crashing - I was lucky to go 20 minutes before.

Too soon to say it's solved but i have my fingers crossed. I am going to bed now but I'll start a two hour movie and check it in the morning.

morning has arrived and the computer didn't crash - the movie played the whole way through.

looking good so far!

I've watched several shows on netflix and done lots of websurfing without a single problem since I switched lan ports.

I think it's safe to call this one solved.

Back