• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 8.1 for dummies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Theocnoob, you have not begun yet finding out about absurdities of Windows 8 interface, in particular Windows 8.0 user interface. We're beating a dead horse by posting about them but here's one: Did you know how they made Windows 8.0 reboot or shut down?

Unless you knew the keyboard shortcut or searched help for it, they made you

Hover your mouse *carefully* in the corner, hoping to Fish-In the "Charms" pop-up, or rather *trying* to Fish-In Windows Charms then (usually) Fail once or twice to Fish it in

only to have to carefully scroll down to Settings thereafter... making sure that Charms doesn't disappear... Then it took you a bit of time after that for your eye to locate the Power button to only then bring up the menu to be able to start the Reboot/Shut Down process (!)

As posted before, I am all for giving people the option to have Charms but one psychologist is not enough. You need a team of psychologists to figure out how Windows 8 developers justified having Windows 8 reboot/shut down process be done through Charms like that. :screwy:

The people behind the way Win 8 operates have to be the same people behind totally, completely, and violently altering the interfaces for MS Office products every couple of years. I was trained on Office 2003. Brought home the latest version of Office a couple months ago, installed it... can't find ANYTHING.

Who cares though right? People's livelihoods only depend on programs like Word and Excel. Who cares if you wipe out their skill set with a radical update? The company can just spend tens of thousands of dollars to retrain everyone and lose weeks of productivity in the process.

The people behind the way Win 8 operates have to be the same people behind totally, completely, and violently altering the interfaces for MS Office products every couple of years. I was trained on Office 2003. Brought home the latest version of Office a couple months ago, installed it... can't find ANYTHING.

Who cares though right? People's livelihoods only depend on programs like Word and Excel. Who cares if you wipe out their skill set with a radical update? The company can just spend tens of thousands of dollars to retrain everyone and lose weeks of productivity in the process.

medium

He needs to learn how to use Office 2007/2010/2013 :)

He can also
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7673220&postcount=17

and

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7673223&postcount=18

and

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7673224&postcount=19

You need to make the new stuff look like the old stuff quietly or else your old a$$ will be getting a lot of evil eyes from the young'uns. ;)

You're an MS Original Gangsta man. All Microsuck tricks you know, yeees.

Hey c627627 I turned charms off like you showed me in those images but they keep coming back. They won't leave me alone. It's really annoying how it pops up when Im at the side of the screen. How do I kill it? Any other methods other than the one you showed me which isn't working? Thanks man.

This kills Charms, SELECT where it says All under Disable active corners.

If it does not, let's start by confirming you are using the Latest Stable Version 4.1.0 of Classic Shell and go on from there, because then it would be a system specific problem.

Attachments

• DisableCharms.png
    DisableCharms.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 39
This kills Charms, SELECT where it says All under Disable active corners.

If it does not, let's start by confirming you are using the Latest Stable Version 4.1.0 of Classic Shell and go on from there, because then it would be a system specific problem.

4.1.o yup. Charms wont go away.

If after SELECTING All under Disable active corners you still get this ↓ Charms bar when hovering your mouse in the top right corner, then go here http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/45430/Classic-Shell scroll (all the way) down, and start a support request because your problem is system specific.

Attachments

• Windows-8-Charm-Bar.png
    Windows-8-Charm-Bar.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 37
If after SELECTING All under Disable active corners you still get this ↓ Charms bar when hovering your mouse in the top right corner, then go here http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/45430/Classic-Shell scroll (all the way) down, and start a support request because your problem is system specific.

It's probably because I have a bastardized HP Win 8. When I reinstall I'll make sure to use vanilla 8.1 and hopefully this won't happen.

Well maybe you don't have to do that...

Tryin going to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ ImmersiveShell \

Under ImmersiveShell key create a new key EdgeUI

Select EdgeUI and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableCharmsHint and set its value to 1

When you are frantically working on a deadline and you have important info everywhere on the screen, the last thing you want is the Charms nightmare popping in & out... What an intrusive and unwelcome appropriation of our computer screen where all of a sudden we can't use the mouse pointer without this thing popping-up and covering up parts of already opened windows containing important work data... try the registry key, it should work.

Last edited:
Well maybe you don't have to do that...

Tryin going to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ ImmersiveShell \

Under ImmersiveShell key create a new key EdgeUI

Select EdgeUI and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableCharmsHint and set its value to 1

When you are frantically working on a deadline and you have important info everywhere on the screen, the last thing you want is the Charms nightmare popping in & out... What an intrusive and unwelcome appropriation of our computer screen where all of a sudden we can't use the mouse pointer without this thing popping-up and covering up parts of already opened windows containing important work data... try the registry key, it should work.

Any chance you could show me a screen shot of what that would look like? I've never edited the registry.

Sorry dude I'm just more of a visual person. I know I'm frustrating to work with. :sly:

OK. Rule #1. Never mess with the registry... unless you know what you are doing... :)

Let's start with this, is this EXACTLY how this setting looks like in your Classic Shell

DisableCharms.png

and after rebooting you still get these that show up?

Attachments

• Windows-8-Charm-Bar.png
    Windows-8-Charm-Bar.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 29
Start typing
registry
in Windows 8 to see Registry Editor pop up, open it by double clicking on Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ ImmersiveShell \

Right click on ImmersiveShell > New > Key >
EdgeUI

Select EdgeUI and in right-side pane, right click on empty space > New > DWORD (32-Bit Value) and call it
DisableCharmsHint
and set its value to 1

Awesome dude I'll get right on that thanks so much.

On a side note, I'm having a Windows 7 problem I'd like to PM you about if that's alright. YGPM. Thanks in advance. You're so helpful :).

You should definitely start a new thread on your other issue.
You need to make sure you can see the hard drive in BIOS before thinking it's a Windows issue ;).

Back