• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k server won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That error I dont think has anything to do with you.

When a computer is a member of a domain the system caches the users domain login information so that if they are disconected or unable to contact any domain controllers they can still log into thier pc. This is of course configured by the admin as to how many times a user is allowed to log in with cached credentials...or not at all.

Since you are saying your server is not a member of a domain or not a domain controller itself that seems irrelevent.

are you sure it is absolutely out of the question that it is not a member of a domain or that you ever accidentaly tried to join one? Are you positive it is configured as just a workgroup in the system properties?

yes i am positive i have never set it up as a domain controller.

looks like you may have to reformat or restore from backup unfortunately then.

Yeah its definately trying to log you on to a domain and being that there is no networking in safe mode that would definately be a problem. However the larger problem could be that you did not set it up to be part of a domain which could mean some foul play but I cant say anything for sure without it bieing in front of my place to work my magic on :)

well thanks for all your help thus far, i'm gonna try to do some searches on the error and play with some more things so that i hopefully won't have to reinstal windows.

the system being compromised would not suprise me. i know a huge security hole i left open in phpbb that i never got around to fixing. it basically gave root access.

if i find anything else out of interest i will post up here.

thx again

If i were you, i would just slave the drive in your computer and backup before doing anything else. Then reformat because who knows what problems you will have if you try to just fix the current install.

i tryed that but since i boot off a raid array on my desktop it won't allow me to make the drive a slave as stated above. when my roomate gets home in a couple hours i will try to borrow his computer to attempt to slave the drive again since he only has a single drive setup.

twump said:
i tryed that but since i boot off a raid array on my desktop it won't allow me to make the drive a slave as stated above. when my roomate gets home in a couple hours i will try to borrow his computer to attempt to slave the drive again since he only has a single drive setup.
there is always a way to make a drive a slave. best way would be to put it on the secondary IDE channel. Under BIOS set options for boot and after the first optin set the rest to disable so it has no other choice. Its all a matter of channel and jumper settings when dealing with booting off drives.

As for the comment about Boot logging, to this day that has not functioned like you described, it simply creates a log file stating what windows is doing during startup, which you can later read to try and determine a problem (the idea being, startup with bootlogging, then reboot in safe mode and look at it) Step-by-step confirmation, does however do that. IIRC

Back