• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIn2k3 as a Workstatio: What processes can be disabled and how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Ok guys, before i continue id really like to state this is for those of us who think windows 2003 is a good desktop OS properly tweaked. For you guys who beleive its SERVER ONLY and wont give it a chance please leave us alone! I understand it was created for server purposes, but i beleive there should be a desktop version such as 2k had. I really lilke it, its faster than XP by far.

Anyways, i followed the guide out there that tells you what to tweak/disable/enable to become more workstation friendly. And it is, their themehack wasnt the best, had to find my own. But i notice i have many more processes/services than xp. Well duh, its a server OS. And i KNOW theyre all not necesery.

So im wondering guys , which are not necesery for a computer that is just a workstation, and how do i disable the uneeded ones at startup. For example that popup that asks "Manage Your Server"

Thanks in advance!

I haven't played with 2k3 yet, but in 2k server there is a radio button "show this screen at boot up" or something similar to that. When you uncheck it, it doesn't display anymore and you have to go through Control Panel to manage your server.

You shouldn't need any more services disabled than 2K3 comes with. It's got so few services running it's not funny! Check out any XP service guide if you have questions on what a service does, or if you want to know what they reccomend to run it at (since you'll want the same services running).

JigPu

My server which is tweaked to be a workstation (I followed this guide), has 28 processes running upon boot, I have disabled the following:
-Automatic Updates
-Error Reporting Service
-Help and Support
-Indexing Service
-Messenger
-Remote Registry

Taz, since you have it running and tweaked already, can you support MadSkillz claim of being faster by far?? I have 2k3 here at the pad and would probably switch over from XP if this is the case.

Cheers!!

I wouldn't say that it is "faster by far", I had it installed on my main rig for a while and liked it. And on my file server, it runs beautifully, even as obsolete as it is, Server 2003 makes it run far better than XP can make it run. Also, Server 2003 is very tweakable and stable as XP is, lots of stuff to play with and lots of fun, It is as good if not better than XP IMO

Back