• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Aero Desktop Window Manager Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

U D13 N0W

I've been trying to activate the Aero window preview and Aero glass features of win7. But everytime I run the troubleshooting tool it says that Desktop Window Manager is disabled. And if i look at the details it says that the DWM was started by the troubleshooter.
This still doesn't start either of the effects.
Im using a ATI Radeon HD 4xxx series video card with the latest driver.
As a side note when I updated the driver earlier today, the aero glass feature started working. But as part of the install it requested a restart. After the restart, glass wasn't working again.

Any ideas or suggestions? Ive tried Googling the problem but I haven't seen any results dealing with this particular issue. Also my System score is a 3.5 with the lowest being for the video.
Ive attached an image of what the results of the troubleshooter look like.

Attachments

• aero fix.png
    aero fix.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 769
Not really looking for full transparency glass effects just the normal glass effect but more so for the window preview feature.

Open up the services widget (In start menu search type services and choose the one with an icon that looks like gears).

Look at the Desktop Window Manager in the list and see what its startup type and status are. Its possible in the past you (or something) set it to manual or disabled startup type in which case everytime you restart the computer it will be off. You can right click on it and choose start if its off or choose properties to change the startup type to automatic.

found the solution for this problem ... ATI and Aero effects have a bit of a problem :)
Uninstall "ASUS Gamer OSD" and it will work.

Back