• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 fresh install on SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strufly

Hello!

TLDR
installed win7 on one computer and it won't boot on another computer

Backstory:
So i took my 240 gb ssd out of my secondary computer which had win10 on it to freshly install win7 on it
i plugged my 240 gb ssd in my primary computer to clean wipe it and freshly install win7 on it via original win7 installation disk.
and it booted win7 on my primary computer just fine, then i went to put the 240 gb ssd in my secondary computer and it won't boot now.

What can cause this and how do i fix it?

i have tried all the problem solving things windows gives me and it didn't detect any problems.

Thanks for you time!

Hello!

TLDR
installed win7 on one computer and it won't boot on another computer

Backstory:
So i took my 240 gb ssd out of my secondary computer which had win10 on it to freshly install win7 on it
i plugged my 240 gb ssd in my primary computer to clean wipe it and freshly install win7 on it via original win7 installation disk.
and it booted win7 on my primary computer just fine, then i went to put the 240 gb ssd in my secondary computer and it won't boot now.

What can cause this and how do i fix it?

i have tried all the problem solving things windows gives me and it didn't detect any problems.

Thanks for you time!

Were able to boot from that hard drive when you did the install in the other computer?

When you did the installation in other computer, were there any other hard drives hooked up?

Did you get any errors like Bootmgr missing, error loading operating system?

What kind of hard drive is this sata, ide ?

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Yes it was able to boot win7 on primary computer with only that 240 gb ssd plugged in.
The ssd is a samsung 850 series that runs sata3
On my secondary computer when i try to turn on the computer with only the ssd plugged in it gives me a black screen with white text that says start windows normally or run the start reperation test( which is advised) if i try to start windows normally it gets to the "starting windows 7" screen and shortly after it turns into a blue screen with some white text and in a splitsecond it restarts and does it over and over again and if i try to click the start reperation it gives me a miscrosoft corporation loading screen and turns into "settings for system recovery" page where i have to choose my keyboard language and put in password for computer (which is none so i just press enter) then it gives me 5 options, start recovery, start system restore. system restore from an earlier point in time, Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, and command prompt, i have tried all of them except command prompt because i dont know what to type in it. none of the 4 works, they either says it can't automatically solve the problems or that there is no problems. thanks for reading my long poem lol.

I'm going out on a limb here with my guess since there isn't enough info about the installs and system setup, but the clue of having Windows 10 previously installed makes me want to say that one system is in UEFI mode and the other is in Bios mode.

Extra guesses:
Windows 10 is fine installing in either mode, Windows 7 can also install in either mode but lacks support for full UEFI startup and must use a mixed mode to do so. So even if both systems are in UEFI mode, 1 system might be setup correctly for W7 UEFI, while the other isn't.

Could have something to do with GPT format and the boot order in a UEFI install. It's detecting a bad boot setup because it cannot locate the correct boot partiton when moved to the other system.

I'm going out on a limb here with my guess since there isn't enough info about the installs and system setup, but the clue of having Windows 10 previously installed makes me want to say that one system is in UEFI mode and the other is in Bios mode.

Extra guesses:
Windows 10 is fine installing in either mode, Windows 7 can also install in either mode but lacks support for full UEFI startup and must use a mixed mode to do so. So even if both systems are in UEFI mode, 1 system might be setup correctly for W7 UEFI, while the other isn't.

Could have something to do with GPT format and the boot order in a UEFI install. It's detecting a bad boot setup because it cannot locate the correct boot partiton when moved to the other system.

What he said + check in the BIOS to see if the ahci mode is enabled

Last edited:
Back