• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Taskbar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

How can I keep Win7 taksbar from popping up when I'm using other programs? under WinXP I could keep the taskbar only on the desktop, and alt tab to use it, but now seems to be present everywhere.

Thanks for ur wisdom :sn:

If you mean to disable taskbar thumbnail preview from popping up, then I also found out that to be a major annoyance. Although there is a setting to disable it - that setting will not work.

So the only workaround is to go registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
> Right click on Advanced and select New DWORD and name it
ExtendedUIHoverTime

Double click on it and give it a large value like 99999999
This effectively disables taskbar thumbnail preview because you would have to hover over the task bar for a long time to actually see a thumbnail preview.

Open Notification Area Icons by right-clicking the taskbar--> Properties--> Notification Area--> Customize button (... or through Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons, and change the Action Center icon to "Hide icon and notifications". If the Action Center icon isn't the cause, then you'll need to use trial and error to figure out which icon is the culprit.

Thanks for ur input and help. Here is what I've found so far:

http://www.csparks.com/Win7TaskbarMasher/
When you're not using the taskbar or start menu, this program keeps the taskbar behind other windows. It simulates the effect of unchecking the box "Keep taskbar on top" which was an option in Windows XP and Vista, but taken away in Windows 7.
So far its working with one program, (ACAD), but not with another (Photoshop). So I might go this route:

http://www.aviassin.com/taskbareliminator
Aviassin Taskbar Eliminator is a great utility which will simply and efficiently remove the taskbar from Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7

Win7 Taskbar is ok except it interferes with the 2 programs I work with. If I want to see the Task Bar, I press Windows key + D and boom! 100% Desktop.

Nice to see u still around redduc900 :>)

Last edited:
Back