• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win8.1 Pro OEM Builder License can only be installed ONCE? I dont understand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello :D

It's my very first time, building a PC on my own, and first time i bought an new Win8.1 Disk.

However, I've read online that this can only be installed once. :-/

(or maybe it's a misunderstanding from my side)

Because, I need to replace my (upgrade) Motherboard and CPU later on. But I have an SSD already and I plan to install it now because my PC is slow in starting up.

But after I install a new mobo and CPU, I'd have to reinstall Win8.1 correct?

But is it true that OEM Win8.1 Disks can only be installed once? One motherboard? :shrug:

Here's from Microsoft's Licensing FAQ:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?
A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the Microsoft Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The Microsoft Software License Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

thanks in advance for your replies. Have a good day :)

Really, with 8 or 8.1, you don't need to reinstall for a mobo/cpu change.

That said, if you call Microsoft (I've done this before) you can do a phone activation and get it to work on latter installs. :)

So, If I install on my W8.1 SSD now, then later I acquire a new motherboard and CPU.

I just put them all together, replug the SATA and it'll run back on again? :D

What'll happen exactly? :) Just that im worried about this license thing :(

I don't wanna buy another W8.1 after I get new parts :(

Yes, it'll transfer just fine. Windows 8.1 is very friendly to hardware swaps.

If it asks you about activation, simply rerun the activation. If it won't activate you simply call Microsoft and say "hey, same person, just switched motherboards" and they'll give you a code to type in.

Yes, it'll transfer just fine. Windows 8.1 is very friendly to hardware swaps.

If it asks you about activation, simply rerun the activation. If it won't activate you simply call Microsoft and say "hey, same person, just switched motherboards" and they'll give you a code to type in.

I have done this numerous times with windows since XP was released and the activation didn't kick in properly.

Its not really anything special, as MS has about 3 or 4 different ways to activate a product. Nothing to worry about its not like MS said "Hey lets pull a prank on this guy trying to activate our product. Hilarious!" Anyhow as ATM said just call the 1800 number and it will walk you through the whole process either by representative or by automated call, your choice.

Don't worry, even if the OS won't activate the procedure is pretty straight forward. I,ve had it where the secondary code would not activate and have had to call MS. They ask how many computers it's on and then will allow you to activate it.

Oh? Even if you have more than one computer, you can also activate the same license on another? I thought this is just authorized for one. :-/
Not quite familiar but I know with certain volume licenses you can, just depends on how you received your copy of windows.

Phew! that's great, any way, Phone activation is worldwide right? :p

Cuz im not in US.

Microsoft has a touch-tone system that has worked countless times for me. Does Google Voice do Touch-Tone? You could try that. If not, I'm sure they have similar systems in other countries where they have a presence.

Microsoft has a touch-tone system that has worked countless times for me. Does Google Voice do Touch-Tone? You could try that. If not, I'm sure they have similar systems in other countries where they have a presence.

i think they have a toll free 800 number?

that can be a problem, for some reason prebuilt stuff is configured to work with that setup only, and if you rebuild then microsoft wants more money...surprising.

you can call the activation help hotline and say something fried and you had to replace it, they should take care of things on their end.

that can be a problem, for some reason prebuilt stuff is configured to work with that setup only, and if you rebuild then microsoft wants more money...surprising.

you can call the activation help hotline and say something fried and you had to replace it, they should take care of things on their end.

It wasn't prebuilt, he bought the copy with the rest of the components...

Back