• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win8 - Change refresh rate via command line?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
I have a laptop running Windows 8. It has the option to use two refresh rates - 40Hz and 60Hz. For some reason when I am running on battery, the screen will randomly "flicker" (it almost slides to the side every 30 seconds or so). When the screen is changing, it never does it. Anyway, I've tried everything to fix it but I found that changing the refresh rate from 60Hz to 40Hz and then back to 60Hz resolves it for some reason. I was hoping that I could just have a script that sets the refresh rate and then switches it back instead of having to open the control panel and changing it manually.

No idea whether it'll work with Win8, but you might look at nircmd.exe (search for "setdisplay"). If it does work, then all you need is to write up a three-line batch file.

Back