• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winders 11 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
This morning a did my routine, grabbed coffee and fired the rig up. I was greeted with a sort of different log-in screen. Put in my pin and noticed the pinned icons are now slightly different and are centered like a linux distro. Go into settings and see "Winders 11 Pro"

Because I'm still using Classic shell to make win 10 look like 8.1, everything has remained the same as before. I did notice it's a bit snappier. No errors to report thus far.

Anybody else?

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎27/‎2021
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

Ahh, ok, an Insider. That makes more sense. I'm assuming that will be the actual release version.

On my end, I haven't been on the PC since I stood it up a bit ago. There's probably an update to that build. :)

My desktop processor is too old apparently. (I'm sure it can run it just fine, but I can't get an early copy from windows insider)

Haven't tried my Surface Book laptop yet.

This morning a did my routine, grabbed coffee and fired the rig up. I was greeted with a sort of different log-in screen. Put in my pin and noticed the pinned icons are now slightly different and are centered like a linux distro. Go into settings and see "Winders 11 Pro"

Because I'm still using Classic shell to make win 10 look like 8.1, everything has remained the same as before. I did notice it's a bit snappier. No errors to report thus far.

Anybody else?

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎27/‎2021
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

Nah, you just prolly stole someone's code, or login, or something... I know you. Yer all up in der Winder's Internetz! :comp:

My system system is in my signature. I go into the bio and enable TPM 2.0. TPM. MSC show me that my system is ready for Windows 11. Today I tried to install Windows 11 with Windows Assistant. Its prompted me to do a Windows 11 PC Health check. When I did that, it tells me that my processor is not supported by Windows 11. That I am stuck with Windows 10 unless I am doing a system upgrade?

I have been on win11 since the first day for the legitimate DL
One issue that I have is with setting custom resolutions. Everytime that windows has updated, I have had to reset those custom settings as the monitor reverts to native res. Even with the Nvidia card installed, I have had to go into Nvidia control panel and remove DSR factors and then reapply them and get my resoutions back

My system system is in my signature. I go into the bio and enable TPM 2.0. TPM. MSC show me that my system is ready for Windows 11. Today I tried to install Windows 11 with Windows Assistant. Its prompted me to do a Windows 11 PC Health check. When I did that, it tells me that my processor is not supported by Windows 11. That I am stuck with Windows 10 unless I am doing a system upgrade?

TPM2 is not the only hardware requirement to qualify for the Windows 11 upgrade. On the AMD side, you need at least a Zen+ processer, i.e., Ryzen 2xxx, 3xxx, or 5xxx series. Yours is Zen gen 1. However, folks have developed some installation hacks that allow to install Win 11 on most any machine, though you may not get feature updates when they roll out.

https://gearupwindows.com/how-to-install-windows-11-on-unsupported-pcs/

You can run Win11 installation on a much older PC but from a flash drive or DVD. Only the upgrade option requires to pass the compatibility test. I installed Win11 on i5-5200U laptop this week and it passed without issues, even though it doesn't have Intel Gen8+ CPU or TPU 2.0.

@trents, thanks for the link, will check it later

You can run Win11 installation on a much older PC but from a flash drive or DVD. Only the upgrade option requires to pass the compatibility test. I installed Win11 on i5-5200U laptop this week and it passed without issues, even though it doesn't have Intel Gen8+ CPU or TPU 2.0.

Note that when you install directly via ISO/DVD, it still requires at least a TPM 1.2 module. It also still requires Secure Boot and UEFI to be enabled. For computers that are only slightly older than the official requirements, this can usually work. For even older computers though, you'll need to use one of the other methods. It's still possible to Install Windows 11 even with no TPM module at all, and without using Secure Boot or UEFI.

I did the upgrade on my Surface Book 2 laptop last night. Working ok, though I haven't done a lot of poking around yet.

Though to get open shell to work right for the start button, I'm going to need to create a transparent custom .png file to cover the start button. The normal options are smaller than the new start button, so you can easily accidentally click it rather than the openshell one.

After one more installation, I feel like Win11 is one more update for Win10, but they wanted to release it as a new product just because updates are not really selling.
Most menus etc. are like in Win10, some options are "hidden" and some options are available almost only from the old control panel (the one which is with us since Win7 or even Vista). Try to adjust power options in the new panel and you will see that something is missing. The same, user window doesn't have everything. Maybe they will fix it but it was already happening in Win10. Like they couldn't just replace the old control panel with something functional. To set all basic options after reinstallation I have to use multiple windows. There is no option to pin up a program to the taskbar. I can make it only when I run a program. There are many other simple things that I find annoying but I guess I will have to live with that (unless MS corrects them).

So far I can't see any significant performance differences running it on Ryzen 5900X+RTX3070. I heard about some performance issues on Ryzen and maybe there is something but I just can't see it, so or I don't have it or it's not significant enough. I wasn't comparing test results closer, just saying about the general experience.
I forgot about the VBS so I will check that some other time.

Woomack,

I have the option to pin apps to the taskbar just like it worked in Windows 10. I can right click on the app in the Start menu and pin it to the taskbar. Did you do an in place upgrade from Windows 10 or a from scratch clean install? Pro or Home? And I seem to have all the same choices in Power Options, at least when I access it from Control Panel. I hope they never do away with Control Panel. It is still my favorite way to access Windows settings.

I haven't had a chance to try a lot of different things yet but so far all the changes in Windows 11 seem to be cosmetic.

My biggest annoyance so far with W11....................only one clock in the task bar (and I can't figure out how to get two or move it to the left monitor without making it 'primary'.

I run two monitors and with the primary (where I work/game) on the right(middle - in front of me) and one to the left. When I work there isn't an issue, but when I play games, the taskbar and clock disappear. I would like to have a clock on the left monitor... even if it's permanent without making it the primary monitor........or if I can make it the primary monitor and have my games launch on the other, that's OK too.

Any idea how to get the clock on the left/secondary monitor like it was in W10?

Decided to try running the PC check. As expected told me I needed to enable tpm. I changed from discrete tpm to firmware tpm. Booted up and now randomly getting bsods. Switched back to discrete as I wasn't migrating yet.... And still randomly getting them.

Have run an sfc /scannow (which it says fixed some corrupted files...) And will see if they come back.

Woomack,

I have the option to pin apps to the taskbar just like it worked in Windows 10. I can right click on the app in the Start menu and pin it to the taskbar. Did you do an in place upgrade from Windows 10 or a from scratch clean install? Pro or Home? And I seem to have all the same choices in Power Options, at least when I access it from Control Panel. I hope they never do away with Control Panel. It is still my favorite way to access Windows settings.

I haven't had a chance to try a lot of different things yet but so far all the changes in Windows 11 seem to be cosmetic.

I installed Pro from a flash drive - fresh installation. In the power options there are power plans (default 3, the ryzen plan doesn't even appear on the list) but no shortcut/link for plans' details. I still have to go to the old control panel to adjust everything else like screen power saving or a sleep mode.
About the apps' pinning, it works from the start menu, it works when you run an app ... but it doesn't have that option when you want to pin something from other places like a desktop. It was there in Win10. It also won't pin the app, it pins the shortcut. In Win10 you can pin the shortcut from the desktop or the whole app like CPU-Z and later delete this shortcut/app and the one on the taskbar will still work. Right now only the start menu works this way. It's not a big problem, but these little changes could be improved or not touched at all.
It's like everything is there but some things were moved or slightly changed. I guess we can expect many updates soon.

I'm not sure about the second monitor issue. I work and play games on a single monitor. I got used to one large display and like it more this way. I will try to check that when at work someone installs Win11. Right now no one wants to do that :p

https://www.techpowerup.com/287786/...l3-cache-latency-worse-amd-puts-out-fix-dates

"Shortly after Windows 11 launch, AMD and Microsoft jointly discovered that Windows 11 is poorly optimized for AMD Ryzen processors, which see significantly increased L3 cache latency, and the UEFI-CPPC2 (preferred cores mechanism) rendered not working. In our own testing, a Ryzen 7 2700X "Pinnacle Ridge" processor, which typically posts an L3 cache latency of 10 ns, was tested to show a latency of 17 ns. This was made much worse with the October 12 "patch Tuesday" update, driving up the latency to 31.9 ns."

"AMD put out a statement on social media, which surfaced on Reddit. The company stated that patches for the two issues have been developed, and specified dates on which they'll be released. The patch for the Preferred Cores (UEFI-CPPC2) bug will be released on October 21."

Back