• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window Mod For Antec P182 Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wreckless Hype

Registered
Hey everyone. I'm new here obviously. I just got done rebuilding my P182 rig. I upgraded a few things like from a Q9300 to a Q9550, 8800gt to a 9800GTX+, and installed a basic RAID0 configuration.

Before I setup my hardware, I removed everything and did a spray job on it after seeing the P182SE chassis as some do. I'm very happy with my results. I've also fully configured a large array of fans. This rig was originally going to be a Media Center PC for my home theater setup but I have a smaller case and it hosts my older hardware profile and large hard drives. This is going to be my gaming rig but I'm not going so far as to water cool it yet.

So now I have a setup that I'm very happy with. It hosts a basic satin black chassis with Aero Cool Silverlightning fans throughout. I'm currently modding the front doors to remove half of the fins in the fan doors to allow more air flow and also allows the LEDs to shine.

I'm posting here obviously for a window mod how to. I want to hide my HDD bays and I would like the window to run top to bottom showing the upper most fan down to the Mushkin PSU sporting a Silverlightning fan and lower chamber fan. Possibly a 10" by 18" window roughly?

I do know how to search, I've googled a lot in this topic. What I see is end results and no write ups. I know the P180 series cases use the Aluminum / Plastic / Aluminum sides and this makes it difficult to cut through. What are my best options? I have a Dremel... I just don't want terrible edges and I don't want to see the inside of the panel. Is it best to bolt the window on the outside, screw it on inside. I'd rather not tape it on. I'm afraid mounting it inside will show the mess around the edges I cut or something inside.

That's my scenario. Since there's no real newb page or intro page I will just post some specs and pics for you all to get an idea of what I have going on:

Antec P182 Case / Black Chassis
Asus P5Q-E
Intel C2Q Q9550
Thermalright True Black120 Rev.C w/ 120mm Silverlightning CPU Cooler
8Gb Corsair XM2 DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
500Gb + 500Gb WD Green Power HDD RAID0
EVGA 9800GTX+ Superclocked Edition
Thermalright T-Rad2 w/ 2 92mm Silverlightning GPU Cooler
Muskin 550w Modular PSU

(Pictures show missing top rear 2 120mm chassis fans, PSU fan, front fan doors)
Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

(Missing PSU fan)
Pic4.jpg

Exactly right. $100 seems a bit high for a window. Or is that just me. However, it does look amazing. Nice find, perfect reference.:thup:

100 NZD Runs around 70 USD, But they don't show anything about out of country service so I guess it doesn't matter. I need this in the US...

This however is exactly what I want:
CL_P182Windowed_pic1.jpg

far out! that P182 in the pic is very neat.
Wreckless Hype, have you tried youtube?
you may find some "how to" guides there.

if there isn't a video on youtube (i coudln't find one specifically for P182 after a quick browse) you may have to buy another side panel and mod it.

Any reputable places I can send a side panel to be cut? I'd do it myself but I'm unsure what tools to start out with and how to finish the hole. If anyone has an idea, that would be great.

so we buy a case with specialy designed side pannels with specific layers to combat noise, only to stick a piece of acrylic to let the noise out?

Regardless you build looks good right now, you could always do it yourself, wouldnt be hard you would just need some time and a steady hand.

so we buy a case with specialy designed side pannels with specific layers to combat noise, only to stick a piece of acrylic to let the noise out?

Honestly I'm not one to complain about noise. I've been using the tower with the side panel off for a while now anyway. I usually sleep with a ceiling fan on or something so I rarely hear my tower. Also, I've read many mods just like this where most people rarely ever discuss an increase in noise. The fans hover around low 20dba.

My DIY question is what to use to cut this material and also how to finish the edges.

Thanks for the idea. I just emailed Jeffy@FrozenCPU. Hope for some good news.

Also, just finished my front fan doors:
IMG_1698%282%29.jpg

IMG_1699%282%29.jpg

Honestly I'm not one to complain about noise. I've been using the tower with the side panel off for a while now anyway. I usually sleep with a ceiling fan on or something so I rarely hear my tower. Also, I've read many mods just like this where most people rarely ever discuss an increase in noise. The fans hover around low 20dba.

My DIY question is what to use to cut this material and also how to finish the edges.

a good dremel with a taped off line should produce some pretty nice cuts

I got a reply back from FrozenCPU. Jeffy tells me they still do it. I will get back to you on what I get done and prices and whatnot. When I get my builds done, I will have them posted.

Back