• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 and Ryzen Threadripper 2 32 core/64 thread CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as win10 is so much slooooooower than Linux in rendering I really don't see why they would.
who, in their right mind, would pair one of these chips with win10?
it's not a daily driver nor a gaming chip.

So much slower: is it because Linux is so light or is windows10 generally much slower than previous operating systems?

I think home is limited to a single cpu and anything pro down to home is limited to 2 cpu's max.

windoze, in all flavors is just a resource hog is a large part of it.

I see. But having 32cores should be plenty to hog it off? I mean how much resources does an OS *need*? Even in my very old 1366paired with Vista, sitting at idle I get 1-2% usage in task manager. It's a quad core HT, surely if it was 32/64t, it wouldn't even register on the graphs?
I can't imagine w10 being that much worse..I'll find out in a few days when finished downloading

home type stuff is done in fp32, single precision, much pro stuff is in fp64, double precision, that takes much longer to complete so at that point every little thing matters.

I see. But having 32cores should be plenty to hog it off? I mean how much resources does an OS *need*? Even in my very old 1366paired with Vista, sitting at idle I get 1-2% usage in task manager. It's a quad core HT, surely if it was 32/64t, it wouldn't even register on the graphs?
I can't imagine w10 being that much worse..I'll find out in a few days when finished downloading

Windows 10 has a lot going on in the background, constantly. There are ways to help mitigate that, but M$ doesn't sanction most of them. W10 is comparable to a car with automatic everything that leaves you a passenger with a (limited) steering wheel. Linux would be a Porsche with no carpet, no back seat, no radio, and a manual transmission. If you look at the CPU as the engine, Threadripper belongs in the Porsche. :cool:

I did a bit of searching around. To my understanding Windows doesn't have limits to worry about on a single socket... unless you use 32-bit Windows, which is apparently limited to 32 cores. I have to ask who would be running 32-bit Windows on a CPU like this? 64-bit apparently can support 256 cores, so we're still some way off that.

The only thing I saw that might need "fixing" is apparently there is a limit of 28 threads per process for something I've never heard of to do with priority, although apparently there is a non-public tweak around that beyond the suggestions in this link: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...ws-10-audio-dropouts-on-multi-core-CPU-setups

I'm not TR2 levels of threads but I do have 14c/28t single socket system, and a dual socket giving 16c/32t, and neither felt slow beyond the lower clocks on these CPUs. For my compute uses I see good scaling as long as I keep ram local. That NUMA stuff starts getting in the way are more than one socket, and I have to wonder if similar might also apply in TR's multi-dies.

the other issue is the things you can't totally control, one big one is updates.
before you start a multi day render under win10 you need to make sure it's fully updated, with none pending, then disconnect it from the internet or you'll check it one morning and find it rebooted itself in the night for you, and poof!!! you're screwed.

Up to the point my router died, I took to blocking WU servers at the network level. That worked more consistently than trying to manage it at per PC level. That reminds me, I still haven't replaced that router... pfsense install part way through.

So, long story short filtering the curiously placed windows 'facts' about resources and performance,.. nothing is needed in windows for threadripper as far as we can tell.

Edit: op - im curious as to what you heard or thought to make you think it doesnt work.

Last edited:
it may be the win 10 usb drivers he's referring to, the default win10 drivers for this chipset were awful.

It seems they have released win10 pro workstation that supports 4p configurations, taken from, https://blogs.windows.com/business/2017/08/10/microsoft-announces-windows-10-pro-workstations/

" Expanded hardware support: One of the top pain points expressed by our Windows Insiders was the limits on taking advantage of the raw power of their machine. Hence, we are expanding hardware support in Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Users will now be able to run Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on devices with high-performance configurations including server-grade Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron processors, with up to 4 CPUs (today limited to 2 CPUs) and add massive memory up to 6TB (today limited to 2TB)."

Last edited:
it may be the win 10 usb drivers he's referring to, the default win10 drivers for this chipset were awful.

It's not MS' job to give you the latest drivers for everything, as long as they have minimal functionality to get you going. One of the first things I download on a new install is the latest chipset driver package from AMD/Intel.

It's not MS' job to give you the latest drivers for everything, as long as they have minimal functionality to get you going. One of the first things I download on a new install is the latest chipset driver package from AMD/Intel.

They have certainly taken it upon themselves to do so for several years-whether you want them to or not. "Windows has determined the the best drivers for your device are already installed". Yeah, on somebody else' rig, I have the sucky default M$ drivers and it won't update them. Windows Update has a fetish for installing the "best" drivers. I agree it's not their job, but if they're going to consistently take it upon themselves to do it, they should at least do it right once in a while. LOL

They have certainly taken it upon themselves to do so for several years-whether you want them to or not. "Windows has determined the the best drivers for your device are already installed". Yeah, on somebody else' rig, I have the sucky default M$ drivers and it won't update them. Windows Update has a fetish for installing the "best" drivers. I agree it's not their job, but if they're going to consistently take it upon themselves to do it, they should at least do it right once in a while. LOL

It all depends on how well they work with hardware providers. The nvidia or AMD GPU drivers offered through WU are usually ancient and don't have full functionality, but enough to get a desktop going. Similarly with the chipset (Intel/AMD) it is often enough to get some level of functioning, but not all. As said, I got a feeling they want to provide enough to get you going, but it isn't necessarily the latest or best.

The nvidia or AMD GPU drivers offered through WU are usually ancient and don't have full functionality, but enough to get a desktop going.

Win10 had many issues with nvidia driver updates (constantly updating to the latest driver wether they were stable or not), was it the same with AMD ?

with my threaddrippers I went to the amd site, not the asus site to get the chipset driver.

doing a little digging, it looks like you will need a bios update for the current boards and then go into power management and set it to high performance to use all the cores.
that's about all i see with a quick search.

Last edited:
Back