• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, and how did they know I had a computer.....wait, what?? It gets worse......they let you turn off features......yeah, I know, scary stuff.

There is one thing in Win10 which I don't like and happened to me 2 times already. I upgraded laptops at work from Win7 to Win10 and all is fine on most of them but on 2, OS has crashed in a weird way.
All was fine after upgrade to Win10, I was working on one of these 2 laptops for about 3 days but later I got error while entering OS that some power management driver is damaged and system can't boot. So I was trying OS fix in any way but it simply couldn't fix it. One of the options gave me back info that starting partition is missing. Exactly the same was on other laptop couple of days later.
I had to reinstall OS again starting from Win7 installation and then upgrade again to Win10.

Other thing is that couple of users reported me that sleep mode/hibernation is not working at all on Win10. The same on some older laptops and desktops. Really it's not working in many cases or it's acting weird like instead of wake up it's restarting OS or freezes on black screen.

Activate Windows 7/8 on any machine - then install Windows 10 OVER it, only then activate Windows 10.

If you are successful - the new machine will be "remembered" by Microsoft and you can now continue to use Windows 10 you installed OVER Windows 7/8 or now do a fresh install of Windows 10, but only AFTER you have already installed it OVER Windows 7/8 at least once.

It's not working on most W7/W8 copies I had a chance to upgrade to Win10. I mean I have group license at work and it's not working. I have licence from school and it's not working. One of the PCs at home is on OEM license and it's also not working. The only license which OS remembered was Win8 which was preinstalled on a tablet.

I have to call MS and ask them what about group licenses as I have some computers at work which I have to reinstall from time to time and in about a year upgrade won't be possible.

Last edited:
Activate Windows 7/8 on any machine - then install Windows 10 OVER it, only then activate Windows 10.

If you are successful - the new machine will be "remembered" by Microsoft and you can now continue to use Windows 10 you installed OVER Windows 7/8 or now do a fresh install of Windows 10, but only AFTER you have already installed it OVER Windows 7/8 at least once.

Yes but can I move it to a new machine like the old windows or should I just buy a full copy?

Already activated (with a legitimate key) Windows 7/8 machine must be running.

Then you install Windows 10 OVER it.

Once again. Any machine. Must be running Windows 7/8 with a legitimate Microsoft key.
Then you install Windows 10 over it and it will activate if Microsoft Servers are not busy and if your Windows 7/8 key was legitimate.
You have until the end of July of 2016 to do this for free.

Gee thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I was just making people aware that you can end up with a 3-6Gb download on your PC even if you don't intend on upgrading to win 10. I do mine manually have for years but not everyone does and no I don't consider this an update. It's a new OS. Which as woomack says has left a few people broken that I have read and I wouldn't be surprised if any PC that's using an older bios would break too.

Gee thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I was just making people aware that you can end up with a 3-6Gb download on your PC even if you don't intend on upgrading to win 10. I do mine manually have for years but not everyone does and no I don't consider this an update. It's a new OS. Which as woomack says has left a few people broken that I have read and I wouldn't be surprised if any PC that's using an older bios would break too.

Agreed with this, and the fact that those with metered internet connections downloading an extra 6GB could be very very costly when it is unexpected.

Thank you for your original post. It was major news and useful information.
It's understandable how computer professionals with multi terabyte drives and unlimited super high speed internet connections would look down on this because it does not apply to them.

Out here in the real world people still have limited internet speeds and limited storage and zero need to have their existing setups messed with in any way. Even Windows XP setups, let alone stable Windows 7/8 setups.
I admire the people who look down on your post for having intelligent family/friends/parents.

Many of us out here are not so fortunate, we do computer support for our computer illiterate friends with IQs of fruit flies.
It would truly be a nightmare scenario if their machines were replaced with a brand new operating system because our moronic friends would be lost and would call us and that would mean hours of our time lost.

A fella was using a telephone to call computer support in the 1990s (when telephones did not need power to work, you just plugged them into the wall using an unpowered phone cord). He called because his computer would not turn on, no matter what he tried. After extended efforts to help him failed he said, at one point, that he had a hard time seeing.... Computer support guy said WHY? Fella said he was using a faint flash light.... because the power had gone out in the building!

Computer support guy said, walk over to your computer. Unplug it. Now put it in the closet BECAUSE COMPUTERS ARE NOT FOR YOU!!!

:)
But you see we don't have that option with some of our friends. So we suffer when their computers are messed with. We think about how caning is a widely used form of legal corporal punishment in Singapore... wondering if they apply that to people who mess with stable machines moronic individuals use and are used to... Probably not. :D

Thank you for your original post. It was major news and useful information.
It's understandable how computer professionals with multi terabyte drives and unlimited super high speed internet connections would look down on this because it does not apply to them.

Out here in the real world people still have limited internet speeds and limited storage and zero need to have their existing setups messed with in any way. Even Windows XP setups, let alone stable Windows 7/8 setups.
I admire the people who look down on your post for having intelligent family/friends/parents.

Many of us out here are not so fortunate, we do computer support for our computer illiterate friends with IQs of fruit flies.
It would truly be a nightmare scenario if their machines were replaced with a brand new operating system because our moronic friends would be lost and would call us and that would mean hours of our time lost.

A fella was using a telephone to call computer support in the 1990s (when telephones did not need power to work, you just plugged them into the wall using an unpowered phone cord). He called because his computer would not turn on, no matter what he tried. After extended efforts to help him failed he said, at one point, that he had a hard time seeing.... Computer support guy said WHY? Fella said he was using a faint flash light.... because the power had gone out in the building!

Computer support guy said, walk over to your computer. Unplug it. Now put it in the closet BECAUSE COMPUTERS ARE NOT FOR YOU!!!

:)
But you see we don't have that option with some of our friends. So we suffer when their computers are messed with. We think about how caning is a widely used form of legal corporal punishment in Singapore... wondering if they apply that to people who mess with stable machines moronic individuals use and are used to... Probably not. :D

This may be the best post I have read that didn't delve in to the common complaints about W10. There have been many folks who touted the "convenience" of W10's alleged 'features' , but you have pointed out the real life inconvenience of being force fed a new OS. Well done , sir !

Thanks for that c627627
As a matter of fact I have someone meeting me after work because their e-mail is broken. They called all in a panic and no idea what to do. They do an On-line auction and it has to be working tonight.
I can totally relate to that post.

So, I just upgraded to Windows 10 about a couple weeks ago and I have to say, I don't care much for it at all. Yet, it does have it's positive points. Being able to game with xbox fan boys in the future is a great feature that will keep windows 10 installed on my desktop. Also, all the direct X updates and everything are fabulous. It definitely is an OS update for gamers which, I love.

But, there are more bad things for me than good. In my opinion, one of the worst things about Windows 8 wasn't just the horrible GUI. It was that we had to type everywhere we wanted to go like, say for an example the Control Panel. In Windows 8 we had to push the Windows key and then Type in Control Panel. It was extremely annoying now, we can still click a start menu and have a semi functioning start menu but we still have to type in control panel it can't as far as I know be set to the start menu like it was before.

I think it's nice to have a fully customizable start menu but, to me in W10 It's highly confusing to setup. Whereas before in Windows 7 all of the most frequent places that we'd want to visit in our computer was already there setup for us and it was so easy to pin new things to the start menu. Now, it's confusing.

I also noticed that you cannot change the screen resolution easily anymore. You now have to click on the start menu go to control panel, go to display, go to change display settings, and THEN you can change your resolution. Whereas, it was two clicks before. But, this is fixed by Geforce Experience so it's only a minor nuisance.

I'm also a tad fed up with all of these useless apps being not only shoved in the faces of phone and tablet users but, now PC users as well. Yes, you can disable them from your start menu in W10 where you couldn't in w8 but, a lot of them still are there. Like Cortana which can't be removed and Microsoft's new browser "Microsoft Edge" which is still just as bad as IE and yeah, can't be removed.

But, Microsoft's software couldn't be removed since the beginning that isn't and shouldn't really come off as a surprise.

I realize Windows can't be exactly the same it was for the 22 years that it was considered "good". But, I don't know... I just don't think Microsoft is going in the right direction in the OS department these days. I'll keep it on my computer because it's an update for gamers and I kind of would be stupid not to have it but, I don't think I'll be using it in my everyday life. Still sticking with W7 as a secondary OS.

I realize Windows can't be exactly the same it was for the 22 years that it was considered "good". But, I don't know... I just don't think Microsoft is going in the right direction in the OS department these days. I'll keep it on my computer because it's an update for gamers and I kind of would be stupid not to have it but, I don't think I'll be using it in my everyday life. Still sticking with W7 as a secondary OS.

M$ is going in the direction that is easier for them while giving the vast majority of users what they want , unfortunately. I know too many people that wish their smartphone would tie their shoes and drive their car , and making all those "features" user configurable would lead to a sea of broken OS' and the need for a call center the size of Manhattan. In this particular field , the people that find this less than helpful are the 1%. More like the .001%
We use third party software to do a lot of what W10 does natively already and a lot of it is just as intrusive. It's a helluva lot easier for M$ to integrate it from the beginning and will probably show measurable profitability for the company , and result in a much larger pool of happy customers. I don't like it , but in looking at it honestly , my gripe is with the vast majority of people for who this crap is a "good thing".

Neostarwcc start a thread with a list you need anything changed/disabled, people are figuring out new things to modify in Windows 10.
There's nothing we can do about default settings but we can modify a lot in Windows 10.

If modified, Windows 8 and 10 are still the best bet but yes time and effort are needed. Start a list and we'll help you...

Well, you would think with desktops being the number one seller they would make an OS for a desktop user and it still seems like they're marketing towards laptops and tablets. Like W8 for example, it definitely wasn't desktop friendly and desktops take up a large majority of their market.

I get that Microsoft wants to sell more Tablets, but it was a marketing strategy that failed in W8 so why wouldn't they learn their lesson in W10? It doesn't sound smart to me when desktops make up a large percentage of sales.

I would bet that smart phones are going to be #1 in the not too distant future , with tablets at #2. Laptops will likely replace PCs for the vast majority of users who still feel the need for a "real" computer , and aesthetics will probably drive that market to laptops. I know people whose laptops have died and they were replaced with a tablet , and then only because the screen is bigger than their Galaxy's , so youtube was more enjoyable. Computing for the masses. A lot of the masses can't justify (or afford) a $500 phone , $150 tablet , $500 laptop , and a $900-$1000 desktop. Especially when all they do is email , text , and watch youtube videos of a cat playing the piano. Or do a Google search for the nearest McDonald's. I think M$ has been ahead of the curve for a while , but the market is advancing a little slower than they thought. I believe that's about to change.

Back