• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm interesting RT. Haven't checked. Will check Spybot Anti-Beacon enabled and disabled. I'm not running Avira tho.

*Edit*

No temp increase/decrease when I enable/disable Anti-Beacon. Could be your Avira not playing nice with Spybot RT. Check if your temps change when you enable/disable Avira, but keep Anti-Beacon enabled.

Last edited:
Temps here have not changed either RT. I'm using Avast!.

I could be wrong though as we all know temps under 40C are incorrect on AMD FX chips.

Hmm interesting RT. Haven't checked. Will check Spybot Anti-Beacon enabled and disabled. I'm not running Avira tho.

*Edit*

No temp increase/decrease when I enable/disable Anti-Beacon. Could be your Avira not playing nice with Spybot RT. Check if your temps change when you enable/disable Avira, but keep Anti-Beacon enabled.

Temps here have not changed either RT. I'm using Avast!.

I could be wrong though as we all know temps under 40C are incorrect on AMD FX chips.

This is really odd, I uninstalled Spybot Anti-Beacon and left Avira installed and temps are back
to normal at idle before and after installing Avira so Spybot AB has to be my culprit. This is on
my 6600K build in sig. This difference in temps was noticeable in the taskbar immediately right
from boot-up.

Let me reinstall Spybot AB and disable Avira and see what happens. It could be a conflict between the two.

C6, you use Avira free, would you want to try installing Spybot AB and see what happens? It's a small
program than uninstalled easily with Revo Uninstaller. I'd hate to give up SpyBot AB and definately
won't give up Avira for something else.

What do you use as your temperature program?
I uninstalled the Anti-Beacon initially because it just didn't find anything I didn't already figure out how to disable in Windows and I did not understand why it was messing with my HOSTS file.

But I can reinstall it, along with whatever program you use for temperature and report back. Anyone else who has Avira installed could do the same, Neb.

Hey RT, if you need my help in anything with this, give me a holla ;)

What do you use as your temperature program?
I uninstalled the Anti-Beacon initially because it just didn't find anything I didn't already figure out how to disable in Windows and I did not understand why it was messing with my HOSTS file.

But I can reinstall it, along with whatever program you use for temperature and report back. Anyone else who has Avira installed could do the same, Neb.

I reinstalled Beacon and problem solved................I dunno what the conflict was but it's gone. Temps all normal @ idle. :thup:

I'm using HardwareInfo because I can show all the temps in the Taskbar. Open Hardware Monitor needs to be upgraded
for Windows 10 and doesn't show all the core temps accurately on my 1151 board. Core Temp locks the system, don't know why.

ok.
Remember that it is no longer possible to use old versions of Avira on latest systems, the newest latest version however you get it or update to it is recommended.
You mentioned something about expired keys in Avira. Those update by themselves for free, automatically.

If for whatever reason you ever need one for your older systems, you can always get a new key from here without updating the program:
http://personal.avira-update.com/package/peclkey/win32/int/hbedv.key

As long as the definitions are being updated, you're generally good to go on any version that updates definitions ;).

Is windows 10 a fork of Linux? Today I see an advertisement for a windows 10 pc called "US Plug G2 mini PC"
It has a Baytrail T Z3735F 2gb ddr3, bluetooth, etc.. What caught my eyes was a line that says
"The mini PC has a memory of 2GB DDR3L, with 32GB nand flash, support TF card up to 128GB, easily enjoy games and APKs." the last part is what gets me..I thought APK was Android exclusive?
So is the miniPC/Tablet version of winten just windows skin on a droid os?

I have a question I can't find a clear answer to anywhere.

I know it was possible to install Windows 7 retail on multiple computers, so long as it was only installed on one computer at a time. The OEM version allowed you one CPU upgrade and the motherboard could not be changed, so it could only be installed on one computer PERIOD.

Is this still true with Windows 10? Is the "full"version like retail, that it will allow you to upgrade your computer without the need for purchasing another license? And will the OEM version allow one CPU upgrade? I remember there being some issue with upgrading video cards too, is it only true for OEM versions?

Not too surprised to see this, but it looks like ntoskrnl.exe is not properly releasing memory in W10. This could be a hotfix not applied, as I havent applied hotfixes since 11/18/2015. Guess it's time to apply and hold my breath.:cry:

65+ days uptime isnt that bad, but this box does nothing more than serve as a portal vm workstation for utilities. Bleh.

W10.ntoskrnl.poop.01.png

W10.ntoskrnl.poop.02.png

Mine has been running 5 days and is barely under yours. I doubt there is a problem.

Barely under? That's even WORSE! ntoskrnl.exe should NEVER be consuming more than 200K!

Is there a source code change I am not privy too? I just checked a W8.1 box up for 37 days, it's total memory consumption is 154K. A server 2012 R2 box up for 42 days with a consumption of 24K!

Is this Microsoft getting sloppy again, or is there a reason for this tremendous increase in memory consumption???

Here is a link to a video about the changes to W10 memory compression. (and a forum link with ppl bitching about it) I'll find the memory leak and the solution, there a bunch in this link, will post when have time, argh!

This is an issue for workstations with low amount of memory and a memory leak in general should never be ignored as it makes a system unstable.

Last edited:
Just for reference, my Server 2012 R2 has been up 160 days, ntoskrnl is at 72K. My desktop has been on for 3 hours (Win10 64-bit) and is at 28K.

Yeah that doesn't seem right. up to 274k here on win 7.

Unless this is by design? Does the memory usage keep increasing Chawks2 and Thideras?

Barely under? That's even WORSE! ntoskrnl.exe should NEVER be consuming more than 200K!

Is there a source code change I am not privy too? I just checked a W8.1 box up for 37 days, it's total memory consumption is 154K. A server 2012 R2 box up for 42 days with a consumption of 24K!

Is this Microsoft getting sloppy again, or is there a reason for this tremendous increase in memory consumption???

Here is a link to a video about the changes to W10 memory compression. (and a forum link with ppl bitching about it) I'll find the memory leak and the solution, there a bunch in this link, will post when have time, argh!

This is an issue for workstations with low amount of memory and a memory leak in general should never be ignored as it makes a system unstable.
In the "system" entry, I think they are including other things now, as mine says "System and compressed memory":

Lsrhbgu.png

This screenshot is with a lot of things running on 5 days uptime.

Mine says the same, thiddy, "System and compressed memory".

It's now up to 2,588K on the desktop, for the record. Uptime is just over 4hr.

What is your memory usage? I'm at 57% with 18.3/31.9 GB used. It seems the compressed pages show in this process when more memory is in use. We are both running virtual machines, and I'm guessing those are pushing it into compressing the memory.

Memory Manager Improvements:

In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk. This reduces the amount of memory used per process, allowing Windows 10 to maintain more applications in physical memory at a time. This also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10. The compression store lives in the System process’s working set. Since the system process holds the store in memory, its working set grows larger exactly when memory is being made available for other processes. This is visible in Task Manager and the reason the System process appears to be consuming more memory than previous releases."
So, instead of pushing unused pages to disk, Windows 10 compresses and keeps them in memory. If those pages are used, it will be significantly faster. I'd chalk this up to "working as intended".

Back