• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't have Diagtrak file anywhere in my W10 Pro system.

Windows 7 has files that are "super hidden". They don't show up even if you set the folder option to "show hidden files". It still doesn't show everything.

Fourth paragraph of the linked article
They're part of a larger trend in the software industry to collect and analyze event data

It's the slippery slope argument.

"On a Windows 10 PC, telemetry data is stored in encrypted files in the hidden %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis folder. The files and folders in this location are not accessible to normal users and have permissions that make it difficult to snoop in them.

diagnosis-folder-hidden.jpg

Even if you could look into the contents of those files, there's nothing to see, because the data files are encrypted locally."

"On a Windows 10 PC, telemetry data is stored in encrypted files in the hidden %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis folder. The files and folders in this location are not accessible to normal users and have permissions that make it difficult to snoop in them.

View attachment 175850

Even if you could look into the contents of those files, there's nothing to see, because the data files are encrypted locally."

But this article talks about changing settings:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-telemetry-secrets/

If I don't have the Digitrak file in my services then it's academic. No?

The article says its hidden, i don't see it as well on my system but might be there regardless. Either way, Spybot Anti-Beacon SHOULD take care of it, or part of it no ?

Just for comparison my diagnosis folder size is 64mb :screwy: and out of curiosity had zero hits on Digitrak windows search on Google.

"just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me" :rofl:

Last edited:
The article says its hidden, i don't see it as well on my system but might be there regardless.

Just type %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis in an explorer/run menu and you will for sure see the directory. According to what I have seen and read, Windoze 10 Pro is set to "Full" by default. I do not believe this setting can be changed for the professional version, unless it's coming from a GPO.

If I don't have the Digitrak file in my services then it's academic. No?

It has to be there. %ProgramData% is not visibile in general, similar to the %AppData% folder in the user profile.

The article says its hidden, i don't see it as well on my system but might be there regardless. Either way, Spybot Anti-Beacon SHOULD take care of it, or part of it no ?

You know I have Anti-Beacon installed and set up and completely forgot about it.
Perhaps that's why it's taken care of. The Spybot Anti-Beacon was a good tip
that someone here posted. :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

Just type %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis in an explorer/run menu and you will for sure see the directory. According to what I have seen and read, Windoze 10 Pro is set to "Full" by default. I do not believe this setting can be changed for the professional version, unless it's coming from a GPO.

It has to be there. %ProgramData% is not visibile in general, similar to the %AppData% folder in the user profile.

That folder is there but I can't access it.

Misunderstand, Digitrak is not there, the Diagnostics folder is there, gave me the admin warning BUT i can access it at will now. In fact is has grown by 0.2mb in the past ~15m...

Clipboard01.jpg

Removed a few posts in here, let's do without the tinfoil hat style discussion guys.
You had a dedicated thread for it, but lost it, please don't bring said types of discussion into this thread. It isn't the correct place for it.

It's one of the 1st things I do when I re-install W10 along with the privacy settings and stopping auto updates.

So either Anti-Beacon doesn't stop it from being broadcast, or it does but Windows still collects all the info and backups/saves it to the disc for future use.

Just for comparison my diagnosis folder size is 64mb :screwy: and out of curiosity had zero hits on Digitrak windows search on Google.

"just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me" :rofl:

my diagnosis folder size is 32 MB

Misunderstand, Digitrak is not there, ..

You mean "DiagTrack" or Connected Experience bleh bleh service. I checked in the services panel, nada, no existo.

However, if you do some registry spelunking, it certainly is there and it is set "Automatic" (Start type 2). Not surprising.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack

I'm curious about the telemetry Windoze Pro setting, I recall being able to set this in the past, but it would just revert itself back to Full. Pretty quickly if I remember correctly, but all this flack MS has been taking, maybe an update now allows you to make this change. +1 for the consumer.

Eventually updated to Win 10. Everything is ok, except of just 1 thing: it looks like booting process takes more time then before. Are there any reasons for this or any possibilities to check if there are any reasons?

Eventually updated to Win 10. Everything is ok, except of just 1 thing: it looks like booting process takes more time then before. Are there any reasons for this or any possibilities to check if there are any reasons?

Upgrade or clean install?
What are the full system specs?

Back