• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 10 get windows 7 looking recycle bin and PC icon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo5111

windows 10 get windows 7 looking recycle bin and PC icon? i want the pc icon and recycle bin icon from windows 7

You cant change those two icons to something else?? You should be able to do that and put your own icon.

The icons you want are in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll and there is no way I know of to pull those out. Now you can use custom made icons.

In win 7 with Yamicsoft win 7 mgr, I can and did change those icons, plus hd ones and some others. There is a win 10 mgr version so it should work. I have a huge folder of nothing but icons. May as well put them to use.
Classic shell is no longer being developed as of 12/17 (time to move on me thinks too). Plus it can really only customize just the start menu itself which is really just a few custom icons for shortcuts. Win7 and I think 10 Mgr will customize just about any system icon. I'm using a cool little yoda figure for 'my computer' on my desktop as example. Plus I give custom icons for all my different devices and drives. I like to also give my portable software folders the icon of the soft itself just for the hell of it sometimes. This one is actually an ico file I converted to png as the forum can't handle the ico one.
Master Joda.png

Last edited:
I just found a free prog for changing icons called CustomizerGod. It's a single exe file (1.4mb) and can be run from anywhere without having to even create a folder for it.
http://www.door2windows.com/customizergod/
Since classicshell is no longer maintained I switched to startmenux (which is actually better anyways imo)
https://www.startmenux.com/index.html
but when I 'replace' the start orb, it has a tendency to fade out and the start menu itself becomes inaccessible at times. It could possible be from classic shell's leftover settings-who knows. Anyways, with CGod, I changed it to the yoda guy above using a 128x128 png file. It completely disappears when I am not on it. Appears when I hover without being size restricted by the taskbar, and now the 'start menu x' does not break. I noticed that the customizer god does not see the changes I made with win7mgr. NBD. I just wanted to kick classic shell to the curb as it is no longer maintained at all.

Last edited:
Back