• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 image for many installations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello guys,

I am currently looking to figure what the best way to do a multiple Win10 install out be.

If i prepare one pc with all the software, and then make an image, that would be the plan of course, but i have never done this before, well i tried with W7, but never really go to using it.

In this case, i am looking to make very specific changes to system files, for keyboard layout and domain setup.

Is there a way to setup all the on domain and then make image, that knows its domain, or am i forced to just make an install, and then throw it on domain? (Which typically hides some software already installed)

What are my options?

You can't clone a machine that is on a domain, machines that are domained carry a unique identifier (GUID) that is its fingerprint to the domain. Either it wouldn't work, or trying to put on other machines would cause weird issues.

The solution is this:

- Start with your win10 install

- Domain it (if desired/needed to access network resources/etc)

- Install software

-If customization needs to be made to a default profile, create a separate profile, customize it, reboot, use defprof to copy profile to the default profile (using a different account to run defprof). Test with a tertiary account to make sure the changes stick. I do this with multiple domain accounts so that I'm not creating local accounts.

- After you are good with the setup, undomain the machine, make any last minute changes (depending on the antivirus sometimes it needs to be generalized), use sysprep to unhook the unique identifiers, then capture using your capturing media of choice (we've used ghost and SCCM at the two places I've worked).

the way we do it here at my job is we install windows 10 and all the software and updates and then ghost to make a default image and use that for all the other computers of the same make and model since they share the same drivers and then we rename and add them to the domain

How many machines are we talking about? You could use MDT for the management and drivers assuming you don't have sccm licensing/setup?

Back