• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 LTSC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Since Win 7 support will be ending soon I am looking to put Win 10 on my machines.

I want to confirm that Win LTSC does infact come without the bloatware and other crap normal Win 10 Isos have.

I also want to know if I can use Windows update without it adding back any of the bloatware rubbish to my OS if someone can confirm.

Cheers,

Bandit.

Last edited:
It does indeed come without MOST of the crap that comes in other versions, including Edge and Cortana, but you will still have to deal with a ton of the mini-apps that go in the start menu. I have been using the regular Windows Update and so far it hasn't tried to install anything that shouldn't be there. Working as intended for all intents and purposes :thup:

Clipboard01.jpg

It does indeed come without MOST of the crap that comes in other versions, including Edge and Cortana, but you will still have to deal with a ton of the mini-apps that go in the start menu. I have been using the regular Windows Update and so far it hasn't tried to install anything that shouldn't be there. Working as intended for all intents and purposes :thup:

View attachment 208220

I run imaging at my college and we use LTSC for a fair amount of our labs and haven't seen any of the mini-apps in the start menu as most/all are app-x packages that come from the store (which is also absent on LTSC)

I had to delete a lot of them ? The apps that come with Windows normally and are all on the start menu like onedrive, notes, Skype, the cheap/small version of Office, the xbox suite and others. For me all these are bloatware except the xbox stuff because we need some of them for the game booster (part that increases fps in Win10).

For me, the term "bloatware" refers to the proprietary utilities that come with mass produced computers from the manufacturer - things that Windows already does.

For me "Bloatware" is everything optional, that doesn't need to be there or I have no use for it :shrug: I'm a firm believer that Windows should come as a barebones install pack and you should be able to download all the extra crap if you really need it, not like it is now that I have to spend ~30m using powershell or 3rd party apps to delete useless apps/services before starting to use the OS.

And why do you go to all that trouble? What do they hurt? Does it really improve performance any? I mean I can see where it might help if you were using an old, under-powered computer but not on most modern PCs. And big storage is cheap now.

Why do you clean temp files or empty the recycle bin after deleting files ? Waste is waste, in case of running services, CPU cycles are possible FPS. The only reason I'm using Win10 is because of DX12 gains in a few games, and I preferred Win8.1 over Win7 because it was much stabler and in most things kept up or was faster. Up to now I have always had "meh" or downright slow setups (my longest running system was a Compaq Presario with an AMD-K6 200mhz and a S3 Trio 2mb) in that every little trick gained me a few FPS, and I guess it became force of habit to "tweak the system" :D

For nostalgia purposes - https://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-2240-k6-mmx-200-mhz-32-mb-2-1-gb-309902054/

What I am curious about is where people are legitimately buying LTSB outside microsoft's volume licensing center. Also the more current version is LTSC. I have a hard time believing anyone is actually paying for LTSB/LTSC legitimate licenses as they are nearly $300 from legitimate sources, if so is the extra $200 worth the little work it takes to disable the bologna from the pro or home editions?

Don't ask questions when you might regret the answers :escape:

To be fair just the fact that comes without Cortana and with less than half the privacy issues is good enough for ME. Like I said above, the only reason I'm using Win10 at all is DX12 :D

Don't ask questions when you might regret the answers :escape:

To be fair just the fact that comes without Cortana and with less than half the privacy issues is good enough for ME. Like I said above, the only reason I'm using Win10 at all is DX12 :D

which privacy issues? it has windows telemetry reporting same as other versions.

Yes but it has A LOT MORE reporting than Win7/Win8.1 - there are at least a couple rather large threads about this in Microsoft Operating Systems tab, I think Alaric was updating the one about Cortana.

Yes but it has A LOT MORE reporting than Win7/Win8.1 - there are at least a couple rather large threads about this in Microsoft Operating Systems tab, I think Alaric was updating the one about Cortana.

but neither one of those operating systems are windows 10 ltsb/ltsc. From the way you wrote it, one would assume you meant that LTSB/LTSC came without the reporting mechanisms that regular windows 10 comes with.

I did say less than half [emoji39] I don't have the technical knowledge to explain things in detail so I understand it might come off wrong, and if so my apologies as usual.

Speaking of telemetry, just this July/September M$ installed more updates at least on Win7 that I heard of, maybe I was a bit rash in saying that nowadays Win10 has more?

Back