• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Memory Leak?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Has anybody else noticed a potential memory leak with Windows 10?

I leave my 2 machines at home and my work laptop on 24/7 (just too lazy to power down the laptop - hehe).

This past weekend, I logged into my main machine (The Sith) and noticed that I was using 28 out of 32 GB of memory. I went into the Task Manager, and nobody was using up a lot of memory. Heck, it didn't even add up to 28 GB.

I rebooted the machine and started my normal apps (Folding@Home, multiple pages on Edge and Explorer) and was back at 4.9 GB used.

Monday, the machine was sitting at 8 GB used. This morning I logged in and it was sitting at 14 GB used.

I had to restart my work laptop (Windows 10) last week as it was at 14 GB out of 16 GB used. I talked with my IT manager, and he had never heard of a memory leak for Windows 10, but would look into it.

The interesting thing, is that my "Little Folder" which runs Folding@Home, my SageTV server, and a few other things has consistent memory usage...I hardly ever have to reboot this machine (usually only do for driver updates.) The only real delta is that I never usage Explorer or Edge on this machine as it's "headless".

Closing down Edge and Explorer does not free up the memory.

As the issue occurred on both my work laptop and "The Sith", I doubt it's a driver issue (they two machines share no common hardware).

Thoughts?

Just to show that I am not "crazy"...here is a screen shot of my main rig "The Sith"...just running Folding@Home with some browser tabs open. See the gradual drop in available memory over 24 hours?

Memory Leak.jpg

Edit: it's the bottom green line

Last edited:
I use sleep mode every day and I don't notice any problems with memory leaking. I would disable software to test for memory leaking.

Thanks for input, but I'm not talking about sleep mode...all 3 PCs are on 24/7.

Two of the PCs run folding@home as the only common software, and only 1 shows the memory leak.

The 3rd PC is my office laptop that I leave on 24/7 that runs totally different software than my 2 home machines...but also shows the memory leak.

Thanks for input, but I'm not talking about sleep mode...all 3 PCs are on 24/7.

Two of the PCs run folding@home as the only common software, and only 1 shows the memory leak.

The 3rd PC is my office laptop that I leave on 24/7 that runs totally different software than my 2 home machines...but also shows the memory leak.

Yes mine are not full power 24/7 however no reboots.

Did not notice anything either.

Both my laptop and desktop in sig run 24/7. I shut down the laptop maybe twice a week and the desktop less than that.

I would do some thorough checking for malware on that machine, especially a rootkit infection.

Yeah - did that on both machines.

Windows 10 just did a big update on my machine...let's see if that fixed it.

Back