• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 OEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I built my new computer and bought the Windows 10 OEM version. I've looked around the internet for posts on upgrading parts with an OEM version of an OS and I can't reach a conclusion. I already have a 500 GB SSD, 16 GB of ram, and a core i7 processor. I'm sticking with my R9 390 as a graphics card for now to save a little money. I've decided I'm skipping the RX 480 since I have the 390. If I wanted to upgrade to Vega (whatever that's going to be called), could I?

I'm not looking to upgrade any other part (anything else I upgrade, I'll just build a new computer...the only thing to upgrade is the GPU...I know changing the motherboard, processor, etc. I would have to install a new OS). I think I may have made a mistake on the OS. I had a chance to purchase the retail version of Windows 10 but went with the OEM version to save money and I thought just upgrading the GPU wouldn't be a problem for an OEM OS. I can still purchase the retail version of Win 10, of course, since I haven't installed the OS yet. Thanks for the responses.

You should likely be fine. Generally the biggest catch is replacing the motherboard. The graphics card shouldn't cause any issues.

Below is from M$ on upgrades/hardware changes..........

Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard) Windows 10 might no longer be activated. If you're running Windows 10 (Version 1607) and added your Microsoft account and linked it to the digital license on your device, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

If I wanted to upgrade to Vega (whatever that's going to be called), could I?

I'm not looking to upgrade any other part (anything else I upgrade,

Not an issue. The OS will register the MB and look for it (by MB ID) and any other changes you make are simple from an OS standpoint. In the case of a graphics card it's just plug and play if you stick with AMD. If you move to NVidia you'll need to uninstall the AMD drivers and install the latest version of NVidia's, otherwise, just update the AMD Catalyst drivers to be sure your games have the best chance of being fun rather than frustrating.

So if you have a pile of upgrades, do the motherboard first, get it activated, then pile on the peripherals. Same as it's always been.

You can even often get a different/replacement motherboard to activate if the activation screen offers a phone option. So even a motherboard replacement isn't a certain dead end with OEM licenses.

You can even often get a different/replacement motherboard to activate if the activation screen offers a phone option. So even a motherboard replacement isn't a certain dead end with OEM licenses.

Just did that with a neighbor's 8.1 install on a new rig.

Back